JSA, a chance to get involved

Junior State of America (JSA) is a club at Arrowhead for students who share an interest in government, politics, foreign affairs, education, and the law. Senior Caroline Schlinsog, JSA cabinet member says, “Everyone should be in JSA.” JSA meets twice a month in room 162 to organize meetings and student elections, as well as debate topics of their choice. It is JSA’s mission to help students get involved with what happening in government, and world wide issues.

Currently JSA is lead by Senior Randy Huang, president, cabinet members Caroline Schlinsog, and Mike Makowski (both seniors), and advised by Mr. Tower.

“JSA is a great environment to practice public speaking and to make new friends,” says Schlinsog, “JSA provides a wonderful chance to meet and make friends with scores of other bright, involved students that have similar interests.”

“JSA looks great on a college application because it shows that you are taking initiative on staying informed,” says Schlinsog.

As for students looking for government internship, it’s important to know that JSA won’t only set you apart from everyone else–says Schlinsog–but it will help you once you’ve got a government internship.

Arrowhead graduate of 2011, Ryanne Olsen, was a former JSA member who after graduation interned at the White House while attending college in D.C. So for students interested in government, JSA is a way to get started.

JSA meets twice a month, and at each meeting a debate is held. Students choose the debate topics and debate against each other. Past chosen topics have included gas tax be raised, and that the drinking age be lowered.

“JSA meetings are a BLAST! Every debate is unique and exciting!” says Schlinsog.

Throughout the fall JSA will travel to several local conventions to debate against other schools, which all leads up to the largest debate in February: Winter Congress in Washington DC.

What is Winter Congress you ask? I’ll let Schlinsog answer that–“Winter Congress is AMAZING! It’s my favorite convention that JSA does. We take a plane out to D.C. Wednesday night and spend two days sightseeing. Over the weekend, we debate. It’s so much fun! We sell Kringle as a fundraiser.”

“Overall, JSA is an experience that you don’t want to miss out on!” says Schlinsog.