College Essay Workshop Begins This Summer

Most colleges and universities require students to write at least one essay for their application.  These essays are what set students apart from each other—and they can be the difference of getting accepted or being declined.  That is why Arrowhead High School has decided to create a College Essay Workshop (CEW) in order to help students write the best college essay they can.

The workshop will take place on August 11, 12, 13, and 14 with two different sessions.  Students can either sign up for the 12:30-3:30 p.m. session or the 4:00-7:00pm one. This is a senior only course run by English teachers Liz Jorgensen, Stephanie Polkowski, Terri Carnell, and Kathy Nelson.

According to Carnell, each session will have no more than 45 students and two teachers.

Students can sign up in the guidance office on the summer school selection sheet and need to bring their own electronic writing device to the workshop.

Students will earn a quarter of a credit for this pass-fail course, but they will gain so much more, Carnell says.  The main focus of the workshop is to teach students the major aspects of becoming a good writer, especially how to include compelling narrative that colleges look for in essays.

Carnell says, “This will allow students to get specific feedback on their writing to make it as vivid and polished as possible.”

The students will brainstorm creative ideas, draft their essay, and obtain constructive criticism on how to keep improving their essay and their writing.