Celebrating National K9 Veterans Day

March 13, 2024, is National Veterans K9 Day, where students, families, friends, veterans in and out of service, show their respects and salute to valor and remember the four legged heroes that have passed, and recognize their efforts as an active-duty service dog.

For some this is a national holiday, and for others it is a day to grieve and remember a friend in service, and for the lives they have helped to save.

According to AwarnessDays.com they say, “K9 Veterans Day is an annual recognition of the incredible contributions of military and service dogs. From the battlefields to search and rescue operations, to assisting law enforcement and being therapy companions, these dogs play an indispensable role. This day honors their sacrifices, dedication, and the invaluable services they provide.”

When veteran dogs retire, they become private pets, submitted away from their duties, and set to live a happy and comfortable life with their comrades at home. There is not really a ceremony hosted for them, but definitely a lot of love and treats from soldiers who say farewell. 

Andrew Johnson who is an English teacher at Arrowhead and a veteran says, “I honestly didn’t know we had a National Veteran K9 Day.  In my two deployments, I did not have any interaction with working dogs.  I am a huge fan of all dogs, and I know how much training goes into our Military dogs and the tremendous service they provide.”