AHS Boys Soccer Season Ends

On Saturday, October 30th, Arrowhead’s varsity boy’s soccer team played in their sectional final game against Verona at Oconomowoc High School. According to Maxspreps, Verona’s team was ranked fifth in the division and Arrowhead was ranked fourth. After a hard-fought and aggressive game, the Arrowhead boys lost zero to two. 

Sophomore Teagan Safranek, sister of Senior player Nathan Safranek, says, “It was a really exciting game to watch. There was the best energy on and off the field.” 

Last year the Arrowhead boys were the WIAA state runner ups. This year’s sectional game brought a full Arrowhead student section to Oconomowoc High School in hopes to make it to state for the second year in a row, but the boys weren’t able to pull through a win. 

Safranek said, “The student section was fired up from start to end.” 

The Verona Press describes the game as “emotional” and “physical”. Neither team was able to score in the first half; but at the 25th minute of the second half, the Verona Wildcats scored on Junior goalie Nathaniel Moore. Then just 4 minutes later, Verona scored again. 

Verona went to the state tournament, and played in the semifinals on Thursday, November 4th at Uihlein soccer park in Milwaukee. 

The championship game is on Saturday, November 6th. Verona has one previous state title, which was in 2019 where they played Madison West high school in the championship game, and won with a score of 1-0. 

Arrowhead’s Varsity Coach, Jeff Staus says, “We had a great group of seniors who led us the entire fall to a 18-3-2 record and the C8C champs. The three losses came to MUHS (ranked #1 in D1), Verona (#2 in D1) and Whitefish Bay (Ranked #1 is D2).”

The boy’s were the Classic 8 Conference champions this year with a record of 7-0-1 (seven wins, zero loses and one tie) in conference games. With Kettle Moraine in second place with a 6-2-0 record and Mukwango in third with a 4-2-2 record. 

Staus says, “We had a spectacular year.”