Student Senate Sponsors Giving Tree Event for Families in Need

Student Senate is running a Giving Tree event to provide gifts to local families this holiday season.  The event, which runs from November 16th until December 7th, benefits Waukesha County families in need.

The Waukesha County Christmas Clearing Council connects Student Senate with families who applied to be sponsored.  The families provide a list of items from their child’s holiday wishlist, as well as requests for items that benefit the whole family, such as “a board game or a new vacuum.”  From these requests, the Student Senate compiles an assortment of tags for the Giving Tree.

Both South Campus and North Campus students are able to participate by locating the Student Senate Christmas tree at their campus.  The South Campus tree is in the library, while the North Campus tree is in the front foyer.  To participate, simply take a tag from the tree and purchase the suggested gift.  Return the unwrapped gifts under the tree.  After December 7th, Student Senate members will wrap and deliver gifts to families.  

The Giving Tree has been an Arrowhead tradition for approximately two decades.  This year, the event is “more important than ever,” says Addison Burkhart.

Burkhart, senior, who is running the event, says, “There are so many people this year that are affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, which means that there are many in need. If we can even help to fulfill something like Christmas gifts, it gives light and joy to the holidays amidst these challenging times.  Instead of having to worry about finances, they are able to enjoy time with their family.”

The event allows all students to give back.  Senior Ainsley Betker said, “I’m definitely interested in participating.  It’s important to give back during the holidays.”

Burkhart says, “Giving to others not only shows that you care, but also provides a valuable lesson in empathy.  Giving is a way to help those who are struggling, but also a way to remind ourselves of all of the blessings that we have to be thankful for.”