Spaghetti Dinner Raises Money for the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight

Arrowhead’s Student Senate is partnering with the AHS SAVE (Survivor and Veteran Experience) Team to host a spaghetti dinner on Wednesday, January 31st. The spaghetti dinner will be in Arrowhead North Campus Cafeteria and will begin at 5:30 pm and will go though 7:30 pm.

Tickets are to be purchased at the door and cost $10.00 for regular attendees and are $5.00 for veteran attendees.

The dinner will benefit the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight and all proceeds collected will go toward this cause.

According to SAVE director Shanna Hechimovich Student senate worked on coordinating and planning the event while the SAVE team arranged for speakers and organized the raffle. There will also be two speakers at this event John Bosch a WWII veteran and Tim Nekich a Vietnam War veteran and they will begin at 6:15.

Hechimovich also said that there will be a  raffle of items donated from area businesses during lunch hours at both campuses on January 31 and at the dinner.  Drawings will begin approximately 6:15 at the dinner.  You do not have to be present to win.  1 raffle ticket = $1; 7 for $5, 15 for $10, wingspan for $20

Tamara Varsos director for Student senate said that after members of STudent senate saw the documentary put on the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight they knew they wanted to get involved. This will be the second year Arrowhead is hosting this event.

Student Senate President Addie Siepman said “I am excited for this event this year, the money goes to such a great cause, and these people really deserve it”

The Stars and Stripes Honor Flight, founded in 2008, is a Milwaukee-based program in which former veterans receive the opportunity to visit memorials built in their honor in Washington DC. This non-profit organization has flown over 4,500 veterans for free to Washington DC over the past 10 years.

The Stars and Stripes Honor Flight works with veterans who served in WWII, the Vietnam and Korean wars, along with veterans who are terminally ill. This organization works with schools, and other organizations within the Milwaukee area to fund this project. For more information on this organization please visit their website.

According to Arrowhead students money for this cause was also raised earlier this month, in the form of Krispy Kreme doughnuts. The Arrowhead Social Studies Department chose to inform students of this cause then collected money throughout the week.

It was a dollar for every doughnut, and on Friday students received a doughnut for every dollar they spent. Joe Paul, Arrowhead’s Macroeconomics teacher, went to Krispy Kreme and picked up the 215 doughnuts that students bought.

According to Paul students were able to raise over $1600 for the Honor Flight.