Arrowhead “Gets Down” by Dressing Up

Student Lauren Buffington shows her school spirit with a college sweatshirt.

Arrowhead’s “Beauty and the Beast” homecoming will take place October 7th, and leading up to the dance will be a spirit week full of various themes to get the school excited for this year’s homecoming.

The lineup for dress up days is the following: Monday is pajamas or college sweatshirts, Tuesday is ugly sweaters, Wednesday is hawaiian themed, Thursday is jerseys, and the week is finished with a red out on Friday.

While the pajama day on Monday and red out on Friday are an annual homecoming spirit attire, according to Kent Attwell, student senate Junior representative, student senate gets together during the beginning of the year to decide and vote on what themes the students of Arrowhead would enjoy the most for the remainder of the days.

Many students at Arrowhead, such as Ellie Bonk, look forward to spirit week and think that it makes homecoming just that much more enjoyable.

Bonk, an AHS junior says, “I look forward to the dress up days. I think it’s really fun and it gets kids excited for school. I think it’s important to have this week because it gets a majority of the school participating in school spirit and it unites everyone together in a fun and exciting way.”

While Bonk does enjoy the dress up days, she also says, “I won’t be dressing up all the days because I think that some of the themes require you to go out and buy something. I like to dress up but not enough to spend my own money.”

Some students wish that the themes were more unique and diverse every year. Bella Pitzo, an AHS junior, says, “It’s basically the same themes every year. I wish there was more opportunity for a variety of themes. I’m tired of wearing the same outfits every year.”

“I was really looking forward to a twin day this year, and when there wasn’t, I was really let down,” says Pitzo.

According to student senate representative, Molly Leyden, the purpose of these dress up days is to get people more excited for homecoming and more likely to attend.

Leyden says, “We want as many kids as possible involved in school activities. Having dress up days gets the entire school participating in something fun and getting involved in those events makes them more likely to go to the dance. When I see the majority of students in the hallways dressed up, I feel really happy knowing that because of my ideas and planning for homecoming festivities, I’m giving these kids lifelong highschool memories.”