Students Prepare for Upcoming AP Exams

Arrowhead student actively studying for upcoming AP exams.

At Arrowhead Union High School, Advanced Placement Exams begin May 1st and go through May 5th, 2017. Exams continue taking place again from May 8th to May 12th, 2017. According to the AP College Board, students are predicted to get their exam scores back in July.

According to Google, AP stands for Advanced Placement, and is “a program in the United States and Canada created by the College Board which offers college-level curricula and examinations to high school students. American colleges and universities may grant placement and course credit to students who obtain high scores on the examinations.”

Each day of testing, there is a different subject being evaluated. On the first day (May 1st), students will be taking either AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, or AP Psychology. On May 2nd, Computer Science, Spanish, Art History, and Physics I. On May 3rd, English, Japanese, and Physics II. May 4th, US Government and Chinese are tested. On May 5th, German, United States History, Computer Sciences, and Studio Art. The next week, on May 8th, Biology, Music Theory, and Physics III. May 9th is English, Macroeconomics, and Italian. May 11th is Statistics, and World History. On the last day (May 12th), students will take either AP Human Geography, AP European History, AP Microeconomics, or AP Latin.

According to the AP College Board, you only take the AP exam for the courses you are taking. The fee for each exam is $93.

According to the AP College Board website, “Most exams are two to three hours long. Be prepared to tackle a challenging exam with limited breaks.” They also advise students  “eat a good breakfast and, if you are taking more than one exam on the same day, make sure you have lunch and snacks to keep you going.”

Jorja Tolzman, a senior at Arrowhead, says she will be taking the AP Spanish exam on May 2nd. Tolzman says she is “nervous” about the exam. “I am studying as hard as I can, but it is hard to focus because summer is so close, I am not very motivated.”

“I have been in Spanish class all four years of high school, and I am taking a Spanish class next fall at UW-Lacrosse,” Tolzman says.

Tolzman is also taking the AP Statistics exam on May 11th.

“I think the AP Stats exam will be harder because I am terrible at it, and I have less prior knowledge of the subject,” Tolzman says.

The last day for AP testing is May 12th.