Arrowhead Gives Back with Giving Tree Presents

Giving tree in Arrowhead High Schools North Campus Cafeteria.

In Arrowhead High Schools North cafeteria and South library, there is a Christmas tree with tags on it. The tags contain gift ideas for families in the community who won’t receive presents for Christmas. Students and teachers are able to grab a tag off the tree and return the gift with the receipt to the front office or their classroom. According to giving tree coordinator and Arrowhead teacher Lisa Dlobik, the gifts will be given to the families anonymously sometime after December 15th.

Some teachers such as Advanced Algebra teacher Trina Bower offer incentives for students to participate. Bower teaches Advanced Algebra 8th, 9th, and 10th hours and whichever class raises the most money or brings in the most gifts will receive either a classroom Christmas party or a partner quiz. According to Bower, the giving tree is important to her because she was raised to be kind to others and to give back.

“As a kid, my family and I were always really involved in the community. I think that giving students a push and a reminder everyday makes them realize that it’s good to do nice things for others. My students are at that age where they are starting think about others and this is a good thing to instill in them. I hope this incentive pushes my students to donate,” says Bower.

According to sophomore Natalie Purko, being able to buy presents for those in need and getting rewarded for it is very nice. However, according to Purko, most kids in Purko’s classes have not participated in past incentives. Despite some kids not participating, Purko says she is grateful to have teachers who care so much about others and helping the community.

Sophomore Emily Wood says she is excited about the giving tree because she always look for ways to give back during the holidays.

“The giving tree means giving someone else the Christmas of their dreams. I’ve been fortunate enough to always have something to open on Christmas morning, and I think every kid deserves that feeling,” says Purko.

According to newsweek.com, in 2015 one in every thirty children were homeless and 2.5 million children lived in shelters. The amount of homeless children rose by 1 million in the span of 2010 to 2015. At Arrowhead High School, eight percent of students are eligible for free or reduced-price lunch.

“As a kid, my parents always showed me how important it is to give back and help those less fortunate than us. They’ve taught me to love helping others. Christmas also happens to be my favorite time of the year, so if I can make someone else’s just that much merrier, I will,” says Purko.