Excitement Builds for Hawkfest

This year, Arrowhead DECA is hosting the 7th annual Hawkfest. Hawkfest is a festival occurring the Friday before homecoming. Hawkfest features booths for PAWS (an animal club at Arrowhead), face painting, ring toss, Best Buddies, and more. Hawkfest supports sending children to MDA summer camp, G-9, and Arrowhead projects. Hawkfest is open to everyone—students, adults, community members, kids are all welcome.. This year, Hawkfest is on Friday, September 30th from 4pm to 8pm in the activities parking lot.

The Arrowhead homecoming game is occurring the same night. According to the Arrowhead Gators twitter page, AHSgators17, students will be dressed in USA colors. The game is against the Kettle Moraine Lasers.

According to sophomore Natalie Purko, Hawkfest and the homecoming game raises exciting for the homecoming dance that occurs the following day.

“I definitely think Hawkfest brings excitement for homecoming! I think of Hawkfest as the opening party for the weekend, and all the students are always so excited for homecoming that here is kind of a magical feel at Hawkfest,” says Purko.

Kids of all ages attend Hawkfest, so for many students at Arrowhead, like freshman Claire Papandrea, Hawkfest is a tradition.

“I’ve been going since I was nine-years-old and (for me) it’s a way to celebrate Arrowhead, the football team, and a way to hang out with your friends,” says Papandrea.

Arrowhead gets students excited for Hawkfest and homecoming by having a school spirit week, the week leading up to Hawkfest and homecoming. This year, the spirit days were Monday: PJ/Crazy Hair Day, Tuesday: Twin Day, Wednesday: Hawaiian Day, Thursday: Superhero/Villain Day, Friday: Red Out.

According to sophomore Mackenzie Rudy, spirit week is exciting and fun.

“I love spirit week, it makes me so excited for homecoming and it’s a good way to get students involved in showing school spirit,” says Rudy

In addition to dressing up for spirit week, Arrowhead raises excitement for Hawkfest by selling Hawkfest t-shirt for $15 at lunch and at the school store.

One of the new Hawkfest booths is the PAWs (People for Animal Welfare and Society) booth run by junior Maria Turco. PAWs officially became a club in the spring of 2016. According to Turco, about 50 people came to each meeting and instead of putting on events, members of the club decided to spend the time planning for this year’s Hawkfest.

Turco says preparing for a booth was pretty easy after receiving information about Hawkfest from DECA advisor Steve Melzer and coming up with ideas at club meetings.

“We plan on having a little bowling game at Hawkfest. We are either going to have the people throw a tennis ball using a Chuck-It (a tog toy) or have them through stuffed animals at the pins. It should be fun,” says Turco.

According to Purko, Hawkfest is a great way to socialize with your friends and celebrate being an Arrowhead student.

Purko says there is something there for everyone, whether it’s the game, blow up jousting, cook out, or parade.

“To me, the most exciting part about Hawkfest is when you first get there, and there are so many people and so many things to do. When I was younger, I always loved getting my face painted at Hawkfest,” says Purko.