Arrowhead Guidance Offers Informational Presentations For Students

Arrowhead Guidance Office.

Arrowhead High School’s guidance department offers students various informational presentations throughout the year to provide students with life skills, aid in college planning, and other relevant topics.

A detailed schedule of the informational presentations offered by Arrowhead can be found here.

Mike Ward is a guidance counselor at North Campus at Arrowhead High School.

Ward says, “We had one—probably our main one is to junior parents and juniors about the importance of junior year. We talked about grades, academic and career exploration, testing —the mandatory tests that juniors take and the optional test— we talk about all the college visits, and secondary education, we talked about the WEF that’s where 120 colleges will be here next Monday night, and we also talked about the importance of junior conferences.”

WEF stands for Wisconsin Education Fairs, and is an event where 120 representatives from colleges will be visiting Arrowhead.

Arrowhead offers an organizational meeting among junior students and their guidance counselors, to discuss academic paths. This meeting includes a discussion of plans after high school, as well as reassurance that the student is on track to graduate with sufficient credits.

There was a presentation after school regarding financial aid for college on September 21, 2016. This presentation discussed how to go about paying for any college.

Ward believes that students should attend informational presentations because “it’s actually about them. Parents always wanna be involved but it is the student’s responsibility to be informed also.”

According to Ward, about 300 families attended this year’s junior information presentation.

Ward says, “We had one on the PSAT, and the benefits of taking the PSAT for juniors and sophomore parents. We have one tonight about financial aid for seniors and their parents to talk about how to pay for what they want to do after high school. And then we will have another one in January to inform sophomore students and parents about North Campus courses, so that gets into the course selection.”

Jack Cieslak is a Junior at Arrowhead, and attended the informational presentation offered to students and their parents regarding the importance of Junior year.

Cieslak says, “It was helpful, and I think I’m on track for where I want to be after high school”

Students who were unable to attend the junior information presentation are still able to make an appointment for their junior conference with their guidance counselor. Students can make an appointment by emailing their guidance counselor a date and hour that works well for them, and working with the counselors to coordinate.