Mother’s Day is May 8th, Are You Ready?

Mother’s Day Cards Are Ready For The Crowds

According to arrowheadschools.org, Arrowhead High School has a total student body of 2,257–that also means there are thousands of mothers to be celebrated. Mother’s Day is on May 8th, 2016.

According to the timeanddate.com, Mother’s Day celebrates motherhood and it’s a designated time to appreciate motherhood and mother figures.

The tradition began in the early 1900’s when Juliet Calhoun Blakely’s sons dedicated one day each year to celebrate her. They urged others to honor their mother’s or mother figures as well, timeanddate.com reported.

Arrowhead freshman Mckenzie Rudy said, “Mother’s Day is super fun in our family. We always make my mom breakfast in bed and give her lots of gifts. We always fill the day with activities, everything from going hiking to going to the beach if it is nice.”

CNN reported that it’s not a federally recognized holiday, but it’s still important to let your mother know how important she is, since she brought you into this world and has taken care of you.

According to Arrowhead High School website, on May 8th, opens swim begins at 2:00pm. You could bring your mom swimming to celebrate Mother’s Day, especially if she likes to swim. The schedule on that Sunday has no other activities, which will allow students time to treat their mother’s to a special day.

Isabel Case, a senior at Arrowhead said, “I love Mother’s Day because I know my mom feels special, and that’s important to me. My mom has been there through it all with me and my four other siblings. She is always helping out with school events and getting involved. She deserves the world and I try to give her as much as I can because I know how much it means to her.”

If you are stuck wondering what you should get your mom this year, Forbes.com has a list put together of the most popular gifts bought each year. Topping the list is buying mom a meal out. Restaurants are willing to go to the extra mile to earn a part of the $2.7 billion we spend on eating out that day. Special a la carte menus, free meals for children, as well as gifts for mom are just a few ways restaurants attract customers.

According to the National Restaurant Association, 38% of consumers go out to eat on Mother’s Day, making it the most popular day of the year to dine out.

The next most popular gift is jewelry. Americans spent $2.3 billion on jewelry for Mother’s Day last year. Big brands like Tiffany & Co. and Zales offer things like heart-shaped pendants, diamond earrings, and Italian charms and bracelets that women of all ages love.

Forbes.com states that the third most popular Mother’s Day gift is flowers. $1.9 billion was spent on floral arrangements last Mother’s Day in America.

For young kids at elementary schools, Mother’s Day is a popular time to make her gifts instead of buy them. According to welcomingschools.org, many schools take time to teach kids about family diversity on Mother’s Day while the kids make cards and gifts. Arrowhead students with younger siblings can use this holiday to teach their siblings to appreciate their mother’s hard work.

Arrowhead senior Leah Stapleton said, “When I was little, I never took time to thank my mom for the little things she always did. Now that I’m preparing to leave home next year, I have been so much more appreciative of all of my parents hard work. I will definitely be getting her something special on Mother’s Day.”