Arrowhead’s 2016 Prom is Over!

One+of+the+many+rustic+themed+decorations+seen+at+Prom+

One of the many rustic themed decorations seen at Prom

As of Saturday, April 16th, 201,6 at approximately midnight, the highly anticipated Arrowhead 2016 prom was over.

Students and guests arrived at the Country Springs at 6:15 pm, where there was already a line of students waiting for admittance. The prom’s theme this year was “Rustic Moonlight.” This theme was an adjustment from the theme “Rustic Barn” that was originally voted by  Arrowhead students earlier this year  possibly because the dance was held in a ballroom rather than a barn.

As students waited in line, the entryway  to the ballroom was lined by wooden fences spiralled in twinkly lights. The lobby also had more rustic decorations including a massive ice sculpture of a tree and a rustic wheel.

Students and couples had their pictures taken by Empire Photography as they were ushered in, offered drinks (pink lemonade and fruit punch), and then released into the connected ballrooms to find their tables. Links of these photos were sent to students via text message.

The ballrooms were flooded with paper lanterns in mint and white, more twinkly lighting, and round tables draped in white table cloths with a mint bow. All tables had minimalist center pieces of a vase with a single pink rose and baby’s breath on top of burlap.

For the first hour, everyone mingled, admiring each other’s dresses and suits and took pictures to remember the exciting night.

Dinner was a three-course meal featuring salad, an entree of either salmon, chicken parmesan, steak, or vegetarian, and dessert of either chocolate mousse cake or carrot cake. Some students were not given the meal they ordered due to an unexpected shortage in the kitchen.

Gianna Natalizio is a senior who ordered to the salmon because of her dairy allergy, but when the kitchen unexpectedly ran out of her entree, she was instead given grilled chicken and a baked potato.

“I’m not upset about it at all,” says Natalizio. “They were really apologetic about the mistake and were really courteous of my allergy.”

Shortly after dinner, the Prom King, Jack Risch, and Prom Queen, Ellie Shelp, were crowned. And then the dancing began — the DJ played a wide variety of familiar songs such as Flo Rida’s “My House,” T-Pain’s “Apple Bottom Jeans,” “The Cupid Shuffle,” and Ed Sheeran’s “Thinking Out Loud.”

Out in the lobby, there was a bar providing students with beverages to cool off — the most popular drink the Kiddie Cocktail. There were also barrels of popcorn and a chocolate fountain.

While majority of the attendants left before the final dance, everyone seems to be giving the dance a positive review and had a safe and fun night — both at the dance and at after parties.

“I think that prom was a success,” said Gracie Brookes, a senior and student senate member. “I had to set up the decorations in the morning, but I still had time to get my hair and makeup done. And my friends and I had a great time.”

“Prom was great,” says fellow senior Jakob Stippich. “But I’m glad it’s over because there won’t be any more stressful planning that needs to be figured out.”