Arrowhead Students Volunteer for Blood Drive

Arrowhead students volunteered for a selfless cause this past Friday, December 11th 2015, at the school’s semi-annual Blood Drive. The Blood Drive took place in the North Campus West Gym, where volunteers took donations from 8 a.m until 1 p.m.

All volunteers donated at least one pint (16 oz) of their blood and received snacks and juice after to help with any lightheadedness. Donors also walked out of the West Gym with a sticker that read, “I am a Hero.”

Posters about the Blood Drive were plastered throughout the school the weeks leading up the event, advertising the event. The most common one read, “You share your texts. Now make the ultimate share and give your blood.”

Other posters were even placed on bathroom mirrors reading “IF YOU ARE A BLOOD DONOR, THIS IS WHAT A HERO LOOKS LIKE,” for when people looked into their reflection.

The event was sponsored by the Bloodcenter of Wisconsin and Arrowhead’s Student Senate. Students on Senate had a committee of students who organized the event. These students were primarily in charge of directing donors, checking off names, handing out snacks, and walking with any donors who had just given blood to prevent injury (in the case of fainting).

The week of the blood drive, during fifth and sixth lunch hours, Student Senate had booths set up where students could make appointments for the Blood Drive. While appointments were not necessary, and walk-ins were accepted, appointments were encouraged.

On Arrowhead’s website there was also a link displaying all appointment times and the number of availability spots for that time.

All potential donors registered and chose an appointment time that was convenient for them. This was especially convenient for donors who were not students at Arrowhead, as the event was open to the public.

While it wasn’t necessary for donors to know their exact blood type, the Blood Drive did end up turning people away who didn’t fit into a certain height to weight ratio. This is a health precaution for donors who would be at greater risk to fainting.

Senior Gracie Brookes, who was donor herself, says she doesn’t understand why people are so afraid to give blood.

“I mean it’s not hurting me any to give blood. I mean if people need blood to live, I’m not losing anything by giving blood and helping someone else,” says Brookes.

Other students, like senior Sam Brunelli, can’t help but disagree, “[I mean] I’ll volunteer at a Blood Drive and help out because it is a really good cause but I’ve never given blood…I don’t have a problem with needles or anything it’s just the idea of them taking blood out of me weirds me out.”

However Brookes was a volunteer at the December 11th Blood Drive as well as both of the Blood Drives 2014-2015 school year.

“I just like being in there — and I get to miss school — and I like helping people and making sure everything’s okay. And I like watching people give blood and think it’s just a cool process.”

Brookes also says that Blood Drives can get pretty hectic: “It’s pretty interesting and you’re always busy and you’re getting food for people and making sure they don’t faint and walk people back and make sure everyone’s alright before they leave.”

“[Last years] Blood Drive was pretty hectic,” says Brookes. “I think if more people had come in the morning to give blood it would have been okay but everyone came later and we ended up turning some people away and it was just very hectic and we ended up having to stay later.”

For students who missed the December 11th Blood Drive, there will be another one in the spring according to Student Senate member Gracie Brookes.