Who’s Got Spirit?!

It’s that time a year again — Homecoming spirit week starts Sunday, September 20th. Homecoming at Arrowhead is a time for rummaging through old Halloween costumes and Goodwill thrift shopping to match the themes for our days next week.

Every day has two themes, so if one isn’t to your liking, there’s no reason to miss out on the school spirit. There are also after school activities next week finishing off with the Homecoming dance on Saturday. Tickets are on sale now from September 14th through the 25th for $15 in the lunchroom sold only during lunch hours.

To kick off Homecoming week on Sunday the 20th, Arrowhead invites the Hartland and surrounding communities to enjoy the Homecoming Parade. The parade will be featuring the Marching Band, Football Team, Cheerleaders, Girls’ Tennis, Girls’ Golf, Girls’ Swim Team, DECA, Best Buddies, GSA, Warhawk Interact Club, Dance Team, Varsity and JV Hawkettes, and AHS Alumni. The parade starts on Church Street at 3:00 p.m. and follows the length of County Road E, finishing at Arrowhead. The parade will be followed by the Student versus Staff Football game at 3:45 pm at the Football Stadium.

On Monday, Arrowhead starts off with Spirit Week classics. Monday is pajama day. You can expect to see students, or teachers, dressed in footy pajamas and bunny slippers. But if wearing pajamas is not to your liking, you can show school spirit on Crazy Hair Day that Monday. as well. Monday night is Arrowhead High School’s Drive In Movie night featuring the 2004 phenomenon Mean Girls. Arrive at the North Campus’ Northwest Parking lot by 7:15 pm, as showtime is at 8 o’clock. Popcorn is provided, but bring your own lawn chair.

“I’m excited to watch Mean Girls,” said Will DeWeerdt,  a senior at Arrowhead who says he’s ready to show his spirit next week. “I’m excited about [Spirit Week] because I think it’s a great opportunity for students to express themselves and show school spirit.”

You might see double on Tuesday the 22nd considering it’s Twin Day. This is the chance for you and your best friend to match, from head to toe. If not, Tuesday is also Tourist Day. Have a good old fashioned stay-cation by dressing in anything from flip-flops and Hawaiian shirts to fanny packs and disposable cameras.

On Wednesday students will be dressed as their favorite comic book heroes on Superhero Day or as their favorite big and little screen characters on Movie/TV Character Day.

Thursday is Nerd Day and Ugly Sweater Day, where students and staff can either get their geek on, go rummaging through Mom and Dad’s closet for ugly sweaters, or even a combination of both. But after hours is our school’s dodgeball tournament from 6:00-9:00 p.m. in the West Gym. Students can compete against other teams. Sign up is in the office for just $10 for a team of 6 to10 and all money goes to the I Back Jack Foundation.

The Friday of Homecoming week is a Red Out. All students are asked to dress in red. There will be a pep rally at both North and South campuses during the school day. During the pep rally you can expect to see the marching bands play, performances from the cheerleaders and Hawkettes, and fun activities for selected students to participate in like a relay race.

“I’m excited about the pep rally,” says senior Taylor Radke. “I like pep rallies and I think they’re fun with all the school spirit, because the rest of the year there’s really no spirit at all.”  

After school Friday is Arrowhead’s Hawkfest. Arrowhead students and surrounding community are invited to a festival with games, food, music and fun activities on the Arrowhead grounds before the game starting at 4 and going until 9. At seven o’clock, the anticipated Homecoming game against Catholic Memorial begins.