Arrowhead Students Look Forward to Thanksgiving Break

Arrowhead students have off of school starting on Wednesday, November 27th for Thanksgiving break. Juniors Austin Konen and Paige Schwenker say they will stay in town to spend their break with friends and to hang out with family on Thanksgiving Day.

Konen says he will play basketball with his friends outside or at the gym and he will spend Thanksgiving Day at his house hosting the feast.

“My friends and I are gonna shoot some hoops and then I’m spending the holiday at my house with my mom’s side of the family. She hosts Thanksgiving,” says Konen.

Schwenker says she is planning on spending her break shopping, going to Starbucks with friends, and spending Thanksgiving Day at her grandma’s house.

“My break is going to be really chill…I just want to hanogut and run a bunch of errands with friends then go spend a holiday with the people I love all together at my grandma’s house,” says Schwenker.

Konen’s mother prepares the entire Thanksgiving meal for her side of the family. Konen’s mother’s family comes over around four while his mom finishes making dinner for everyone. He says his family plays card games, laughs, drinks beer, and talks about sports when they’re all together.

“I honestly don’t know how my mom manages to juggle all of the family’s cooking by herself,” says Konen.

Unlike Konen’s Thanksgiving, Schwenker’s family has all of the women cook the dinner together.

“All the girls in the family help cook, even my six-year-old sister. Thanksgiving for my family is more special when we are all bonding over food we will all be sharing for dinner when we are making it together,” says Schwenker.

Because Thanksgiving is on a Thursday, students then have that Wednesday and the rest of the weekend for their Thanksgiving break.

“I’m really looking forward to that weekend off to spend with my family,” says Konen.

Shopping is also a big part of that weekend, considering it’s Black Friday and as well as Cyber Monday.

Black Friday is when stores open up early or they never actually close that day after Thanksgiving.

Cyber Monday is the Monday after Thanksgiving and that is just like Black Friday, but it’s all online stores and websites having their deals.

“I’m really looking forward to getting up early on Friday and going to mall at 2 in the morning, it’s going to be really weird but it’ll be so fun,” says Schwenker.