2021-2022 AHS Literary Magazine Recognized as Excellent

Arrowhead High School’s 2021-2022 literary magazine received the ranking of excellence from the National Council of Teachers of English. 

This award was given by the NCTE’s recognizing excellence in art and literary magazine program (REALM). According to the REALM website, the purpose of the program is to highlight the work done by students and teachers throughout the US. “REALM is designed to encourage all schools to develop literary magazines that celebrate the art and craft of writing.”

There are four possible rankings that each entry can receive. From highest to lowest, there is REALM First Class (93-100 points), Superior (86-93 points), Excellent (71-85 points), and Merit (70 or fewer points).

Illianna Davis, a senior who was published in the Literary Magazine, said:“It was really easy. I just sent an email over to them and they emailed me back a few days later confirming my submission. They also gave me three copies of the magazine.” 

The evaluation guide used to score each submission can be found here

Last year’s Literary Magazine can be found here along with past Literary Magazines on the Arrowhead website. The Arrowhead Literary Magazine previously received the Excellence ranking in 2018, 2020, and 2021. The faculty advisor for the 2022 Literary Magazine is Arrowhead english teacher Elizabeth Jorgenson as well as two student editors Kadin Saffert and Lauren Theiler. The cover art was designed by Annamarie Casper, an Arrowhead Graduate who attends UW-Milwaukee. 

Saffert said, “It was truly an amazing opportunity to be able to make such a cool piece that represents our school’s students’ talents. When I saw that our Literary Magazine was ranked Excellent, I was in complete shock. I am so grateful.”

This 2023 year’s Literary Magazine editors are seniors Betsy Ganos [email protected]  and Anya Behringer [email protected].

The 2023 Literary Magazine is open for submissions. Students who are interested in having their essays, poetry, short stories, photography, or art featured should email submissions to [email protected].