Students Share thoughts on NHS Tutoring

Arrowhead High School has tutoring for students held in the North campus library every Tuesday and Thursday from 2:45-3:45 pm. During this time, students are able to get help in any subject they choose from the NHS students who are in the library. 

According to Arrowhead’s website, the National Honor Society was founded in 1921. It is the most highly looked upon society that promotes appropriate recognition for students who reflect outstanding accomplishments in the areas of academics, character, leadership, and service.

Jesus Hernandez, a junior, said, “The amount of people that show up from month to month ranges, but it ranges around 10-15 students per month and is free of cost to the students..” 

According to Hernandez, tutors help students with all subjects. He says tutoring is useful for students, especially those that need a little extra help with their homework and understanding.

NHS has been tutoring since the beginning of the school year. We started our sessions in the early weeks of September, and we’re up and running with four NHS tutors each session,” said Sylvia Purko, a junior said.

The members of the NHS vote to select an advisory council consisting of co-presidents, a secretary, and several board members, who will lead various committees. The committees within NHS are service, senior citizen, fundraising, teacher appreciation, and tutoring.

We send emails to teachers, use posters throughout the school, and use the smart boards throughout the schools and study halls,” said Hernandez.

According to Purko, NHS students have asked teachers to offer NHS tutoring to any students looking for assistance on assignments and/or with studying. They also have a slide presentation in the study hall rooms at both the North and South campuses to help promote NHS tutoring.

Purko said, “Currently, one of the NHS tutoring goals is to expand tutoring potentially to a few of the Arrowhead district feeder schools.”