Arrowhead Students Get Inducted Into National Honors Society

Arrowhead’s National Honor Society (NHS) honored the new members on May 9th, 2022. The formal induction ceremony occurred in the North Campus Theater from 6:30 pm to 7:45 pm.  

New members of NHS needed to arrive no later than 5:45 pm to go over program expectations and take a group picture (of the 120 new members) before the ceremony. The 120 members were made up of sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Parents/Guests that came early had to wait in the Vanderite Commons until 6:15. 

In the letter sent out to all new members of NHS, Debra Paradowski, South Campus Associate Principal and NHS Co-Advisor, and Kristen Falkner, art teacher and NHS Co-Advisor, said, “As you know, membership in the National Honor Society is one of the highest honors that can be awarded to a high school student. Our chapter of NHS has worked hard to bring the accomplishments of outstanding students to the attention of parents, teachers, peers, and the community.” 

Students were selected into NHS through completing an application that focused on schoolwork and community service. All NHS students have an average grade point of 3.5 or higher. Students fill out the application to be selected into NHS, but it is the faculty’s decision on who is selected. 

The ceremony started with the procession of the new members being inducted into NHS. The new members walked in from the commons through the back doors of the theater and went around on both sides to take their places on stage.

Cameron Prescott, a junior at Arrowhead, said, “It was a great honor to be able to be acknowledged for my hard work.”

After the procession, the four office presidents shared what the four pillars of NHS stand for. The four pillars are character, leadership, service, and scholarship. 

The ceremony was focused around inducting the new members into NHS. The students were inducted one at a time and were given a brief introduction about each student. 

According to Benjamin Janke, a sophomore at Arrowhead, his last name was pronounced wrong and he tripped twice when going up the stairs and when he was sitting down. 

Last, but not least, scholarships were presented to the seniors that earned them through their accomplishments. There were seven seniors that received scholarships with the two co-presidents receiving two scholarships for their over the top achievements. The scholarships ranged from $1000 to $5000. 

The next NHS meeting included both current and newly inducted members to NHS took place on May 13th, 2022 from 6:45 am to 7:10 am in the North Campus Junior Study Hall.