Seniors Discuss Favorite Classes

As the second semester continues, seniors’ favorite classes solidify, and can be used to help incoming freshmen, sophomores, and juniors as they consider what classes they may end up taking.  

An anonymous survey was sent out to 38 randomly selected seniors asking the following questions:

• What is your favorite subject of classes at school?
  • What is the name of your favorite course you are taking now?
  • Who teaches this course?
  • What do you enjoy about this course?
  • Is this course related to your prospective future career?  If so, what is it?
  • What is your favorite activity done so far in this class?
  • To whom would you recommend this course?

There were a total of nine respondents after 48 hours.  

The distribution of favorite subjects at school was fairly even; both math and social studies had two votes, and science, foreign languages, art, English, and music each had one vote.

The nine students, however, all had different favorite classes. They are as follows: Modern Literature, American Problems, Sociology, AP Literature, AP Calculus AB, AP Biology, Jazz ensemble, French IV, and Precalculus. 

Respondent one, whose favorite class is Modern Literature, recommends it to “lower classmen and anyone who likes reading.”  They are Frederich Rauch’s class and says that he is a “great teacher.”

Respondent two says that American Problems, taught by Craig Haase, is their favorite course.  They want to be a political science major and recommend this course to anyone who is interested in current events.

Respondent three’s favorite course is sociology, taught by Tim Tower, and is going to minor in sociology in college.

Respondent four’s favorite course is AP Literature, taught by Katie Herrmann.  They say that “the class has a very welcoming environment, and Mrs. Herrmann takes the time to value each and every students’ opinions.”  They also say that this course will help them in the workplace by teaching them how to write essays and other formal types of writing.  Reading and acting out Othello was their favorite activity done so far in this course.  They recommend it to “anyone with a passion for literature, or anyone who wants to be challenged in their writing.”

Respondent five’s favorite subject is math, and favorite course is AP Calculus AB, taught by Mr. Hessler.  This student says that this course is related to their prospective future career, which is something in the field of medicine and surgery.  They recommend it to students who are willing to work hard and have a desire to learn math.

Respondent six’s favorite course, precalculus, is also taught by James Hessler, and wants to become a nurse.

The seventh respondent’s favorite subject is science, and their favorite course is AP Biology, taught by Douglas Drenzek.  This student is “majoring in biology in college on a pre-med track” and says “I hope to work somewhere in pediatrics in my future.” They recommend AP Biology to students that are passionate about the subject and want to expand their knowledge.

Jazz Ensemble, taught by Jacob Polancich, is respondent eight’s favorite course, although it is not related to their future career.  Their favorite activity in this class was playing for eighth graders who expressed an interest in playing music in their high school careers.

Respondent nine’s favorite course is French IV, taught by Mademoiselle Armour.  They say “There’s something goofy and exciting about each day in class, and because we’ve been in the same class together for over three years, I feel like there’s a bond between everyone in class, including Mademoiselle.  We have a lot of running jokes and are able to create a positive and fun environment each day.”  They want to continue studying languages in college to go into international business.  They recommend taking French I (which progresses up to French IV) to “any freshman looking to learn a language.”

Course selection for incoming freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors opened February 9.