First Home Forensics Tournament of the Year

On Saturday, December 15, 2022, Arrowhead Union High School hosted a forensics Tournament with help from forensics members, and coaches Angela Rodenkirch, a school counselor and AP Class Coordinator, and Rayen Elmergreen, an English 10 Block and English 9 Honors and Assistant Drama Department Director. 

The 2020-2021 forensics season was held virtually; however, this year’s season is held in-person. 

Five forensics members won first, second and third places on December 15.

Winning seniors were Payton Jarosinski who took first place in Special Occasion, Lucy Duchac who took first place in Oratory and Jenna Emons who took first place in Demonstration. The two junior winners were Courtney Weston, who took first place in Farrago and Onesti Ekholm who took third place in Farrago. The only sophomore winner, Cadence Klaustermeier, took first place in Poetry.

Onesti Ekholm, a junior and a forensic captain, who competed in Farrago (a selection and combination of literature from different themes or emotions) won third place. She said, “I feel like we were all very excited to get back into the swing of traditional forensics. We had been preparing for weeks before this meet, and as a captain I am very proud of everyone’s performance and the work they put in.”

The Wisconsin High School Forensic Association (WHSFA) came to an agreement in-person tournaments can be held if the following protocols are in place: face masks/coverings (constant requirement except when performing/presenting), social distancing and temperature checks. 

Elmergreen said, “The forensics meet took a lot of time to prepare, but it was a joy to have nine other schools at Arrowhead competing in speech, interpretive and acting categories. We made it through the virtual season last year, but forensics is fundamentally different when there is in-person competition. We did what we had to do to keep our team and other teams safe, and I do not regret that, but it was nice seeing everyone in person.”

The next Tournament for the season will be at DeForest Area High School on Saturday, January 29, 2022.