Passler Presents Women’s History Month

March 1st marked the beginning of National Women’s History Month. Here at Arrowhead, Jennifer Passler, an English teacher, and The Girl Up advisor is promoting this month around the school.

Women’s history month is a month devoted to commemorating and encouraging the study, observance, and celebration of the vital role of women in American history. The theme for this years international womens month is, Shall Not Be Denied: Women Fight for the Vote

At AHS, Girl Up is doing multiple things to promote this month. They put quotes on lockers from inspirational women. These quotes were put there to celebrate the words of women to help inspire young women and others.

International women’s day falls on Monday, March 8th. The theme for that day is “Choose to Challenge.” The idea of challenging gender norms and stereotypes was the purpose of that theme.

On the 8th, Girl Up is asking for all students and staff to wear purple in support. 

Passler and the Girl Up group are handing out purple ribbons to put onto backpacks or even just to wear. At North Campus, students and staff can find them at the coffee shop and in the commons. At South Campus, students and staff can find these ribbons near the library and the cafeteria. 

If students pick up a ribbon before school starts, they will get a piece of candy.

Girl Up is also highlighting two different inspirational women over the announcements each week. 

In the libraries at both North and South, there are book displays regarding women’s history and inspirational women. 

Another initiative that Girl Up is taking is inspiring students to post on Instagram on the 8th of March. 

Passler said, “It would be really cool to see students post on Instagram or Snapchat a photo of their hand raised to show that they choose to challenge the stereotypes.” If students post on Instagram, they are encouraged to tag @Girluparrowhead.

Passler and Girl up encourages students and staff to challenge gender stereotypes in their words and actions, and in media and society as a whole.

Passler said, “We can actively choose to challenge stereotypes, fight bias, broaden perceptions, improve situations, and celebrate women’s achievements. Collectively, each one of us can help create a gender equal world.”