Arrowhead Switches to New Online Newspaper

On the left, is a picture of what the old website looks like, and on the right is a picture of the new website.

Arrowhead’s journalism class has been using the My High School Journalism website for the past decade.  This year, the website no longer hosts school new papers. So now the Arrowhead Newspaper has a new site: School Newspapers Online.

Every Friday, new articles are uploaded to www.thearrowhead.org about of the latest things going on at Arrowhead.

“We’ve enjoyed helping thousands of schools develop an online media presence these past 12 years. But because technology and times have changed, we will discontinue my.hsj.org as of September 15, 2013. We’ll still offer great resources for students and teachers at hsj.org. And we’ll still have a weekly contest for students to be recognized for great journalistic writing, photos and videos,” my.hsj.org posted on their website.

SNO allows users to change the template, structure, colors, and fonts of the school’s site. My.hsj.org did not allow users to make these changes.

SNO also costs $300 a year, whereas my.hsj.org was free.

We should expect more students reading the articles because it’s overall more visually appealing says junior, Ally May. “The scrolling pictures on the website can grab your attention more easily and give you a preview of what you’re about to read,” she says.

“I think it’s more functional, interesting and engaging for our readers.  Last year, we were consistently one of the top five viewed high school newspapers in the nation. I hope we will continue to have the kind of viewership as we have in the past,” says Liz Jorgensen, Arrowhead High School’s journalism teacher.  “I am really excited about our new site because it allows for more choice. We have input into the design. We can also control what the site looks like more.”

This website will allow for more articles to be read as well.

“With this new website, we hope for people to continue reading the school’s newspaper online because it provides a lot of good information, and I think it’ll help students keep up to date,” says Caroline Bong, an Arrowhead reporter.

“Some things I would like to see in the school newspaper is the follow ups on sports events and games rather than just information about where games are and times,” says junior, Sebastian Luksich.