Arrowhead Again Offering Summer Workshops: College Essay, Flight, Mindfulness

Arrowhead High School offers summer school classes, both online and in person. Along with the core classes, a handful of workshops are also provided. These workshops include the College Essay Workshop, the Mindfulness Workshop, and Flight.

The College Essay Workshop and Flight are only open to incoming seniors while the Mindfulness Workshop is open to all grade levels. Students who participate in the Mindfulness and College Essay Workshop will receive a quarter credit if they pass the course.

The College Essay Workshop runs August 12th to the 15th from 12:30-3:30 pm or 3:30-6:30 pm. There is also an online option for the College Essay Workshop; the only course runs from August 1st to the 22nd..

The Mindfulness Workshop consists of ten sessions from 8:30-10:00 am. The specific dates are yet to be published on the Arrowhead webpage.

Flight is one day, August 1st, and does not offer a credit. The time is yet to be determined.

Flight is designed to help seniors plan ahead for their life after high school. The day will include guest speakers, projects, research, and lectures. The Arrowhead Course Guide says, “This workshop format will focus on such topics as the college application, transcripts, choosing the right college, exploring majors and careers, obtaining letters of recommendations, scholarship opportunities, financial aid and senioritis.”

According to the Arrowhead Course Guide, “The College Essay Workshop will help students understand what admissions officers’ desire in an essay. Students will focus on the principles of good writing, including the components of a compelling narrative. Students will plan, draft, write, share and receive feedback from multiple teachers and students. They will learn about creating an application with purpose and consistency through example essays and readings. The workshop is face to face for Seniors only. Students need to supply their own device.”

The College Essay Workshop will be administered by English teachers Elizabeth Jorgensen, Becca McCann and Terri Carnell. The face to face meetings will take place in room N199.

Jorgensen says, “We have offered this workshop for several summers. It’s a great opportunity for students to complete essays before they start the school year.”

Jorgensen says the course is popular. She says there are usually about 120 seniors that go through the workshop each summer. However, this is the first year Arrowhead is offering the workshop online. This option should benefit students who travel, work, or participate other activities during the summer, she says.

“Students typically leave with completed essays when they come in not even knowing where to begin. I am so thankful we are able to offer this service to students. It is really unique to Arrowhead,” Jorgensen says.

Mindfulness Workshop sessions will introduce new ideas to the students in regards to the practice of mindfulness. Concepts focused on include an introduction to mindfulness techniques, history, philosophy, guided practice, mindfulness through movement, and self reflection.

The Mindfulness Workshop will be lead by Arrowhead English teacher, Jennifer Passler. Passler held a mindfulness workshop last summer as well.

Students can sign up for summer courses and workshops on their Skyward account under the Area Scheduling tab.