SNOW AND COLD DAYS BRING JOY TO STUDENTS

Arrowhead High School canceled classes on January 23rd, and 28th due to heavy snow and bad driving weather. Arrowhead also canceled school on January 30th and 31st due to severe cold weather, three weeks into the new semester.

Parents were notified on the morning of January 23rd via phone calls, texts, emails, social media, and on Arrowhead’s website home page stating that school would be canceled that day due to heavy snow storms.

On January 27th, parents were notified in the late evening that school would be canceled on January 28th due to inclement weather. In the middle of the school day parents were notified that school would be canceled on January 30th due to severe cold weather as well as on January 31st due to windchill warnings.

Temperatures dropped to -50° Fahrenheit with wind chill on January 30th and 31st.

“I wish we had school to do work. I don’t know why I feel that way, but I just feel that way,” says senior Connor Zastrow.

“It was really fun having the days off but there were so many of them. I’ve only had one of my block classes on A days four times and we’re already three weeks into the semester. I feel really behind, but it’s okay because I had fun with my time off. I hope they don’t take our four day weekend away or our spring break. But I guess we’ll see,” says senior Abby Fritz.

An email was sent to staff of Arrowhead High School on January 5 from Sue Casetta, Arrowhead’s Director of Learning regarding how Arrowhead will make up the missed days.

Casetta wrote, “Arrowhead has 12.94 total hours to make up (6.6 instructional hours in a day). Despite rumors that the Governor or DPI can forgive the days because of the state of emergency declared- NOT TRUE. So, here is the plan…1.  9.8 hours of make up time will be added to exam days at the end of the semester.  These exam days are now full days.  This is June 10,11,12.   A more detailed schedule will follow soon…2.  The remaining 3.14 hours will come from the instructional minutes we currently set aside for PCT on “Wacky Wednesdays.” Beginning Feb 20, we will have a “normal” schedule for Wednesdays….”

“I’m very surprised that Arrowhead canceled school. Arrowhead doesn’t cancel school for anything,” says senior Michael Mikoda.

Arrowhead High School had one snow day during the school year of 2017-2018.

“I think the makeup plan is fair. Only 20 minutes on Wednesday isn’t a big deal. Plus all of the seniors won’t even have to makeup the full exam days because we graduate early which is a huge plus. I’m fine with how they did this,” says Mikoda.

“I don’t really care how they made the plan or what consists of it. I’m just so happy the didn’t take away our 4 day weekend or spring break,” says Fritz.