AP Tests Dates Approach

AP Testing Schedule 2018

AP classes are offered at Arrowhead High School, and enrollment in these classes comes with AP testing. The AP test allows students to receive a college credit.

Arrowhead offers AP Psychology, AP Chemistry, AP Spanish Language, AP Physics 1, AP English Literature, AP Physics 2, AP US Government and politics, AP Chinese Language, AP German Language, AP US History, AP Studio Art, AP Computer Science Principles, AP Music Theory, AP Biology, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism, AP Calculus, AP French Language, AP English Language, AP Macroeconomics, AP Statistics, AP Human Geography, AP Microeconomics, and AP European History.

Arrowhead is holding AP tests the week of May 7th and the Week of May 14th. Each test is held at a different time and day.

The make up days for AP tests are May 23, 24, and 25th. AP tests at Arrowhead High School cost $97 and it is a non-refundable fee. Students get a green sheet through their AP class and the latest turn in date allowed was March 16th.

According to Kaplan a test prep online website, “Taking AP exams can be extremely helpful in your path to college. First, successfully passing your AP course can help you earn college credit early. This, in turn, means you can bypass standard intro courses, as well as save on tuition. Second, AP success stands out to college admissions officers by showing you are a focused student, prepared to study and work hard.”

According to College Board an online informational website, this is how the AP tests are scored: “Your AP score shows how well you did on the AP Exam. It’s also a measure of your achievement in your college-level AP course. This score will be used by colleges and universities to determine if they will grant you credit for what you’ve already learned, or allow you to skip the equivalent course once you get to college (this is known as advanced placement). Your score is a weighted combination of your scores on the multiple-choice section and on the free-response section. The final score is reported on a 5-point scale as follows:

5 = Extremely well qualified, 4 = Well qualified, 3 = Qualified, 2 = Possibly qualified, 1 = No recommendation, “Qualified” means that you have proven yourself capable of doing the work of an introductory-level course in a particular subject at college. Many colleges and universities grant credit and placement for scores of 3, 4 or 5; however, each college decides which scores it will accept.”

According to usnews.com, “59% of students at Arrowhead High school take AP tests and 89% of students pass.”

Arrowhead junior Jessica Surdyk says, “I have two AP tests this year and I’m really stressed out because I want to do good on them it’s just a lot of material and a lot of studying to do. I took one AP class my sophomore year and I succeeded in that class, so I’m not too worried. AP classes are very beneficial in the future and I like challenging myself.”

According to Princeton Review, a college informational website, “AP scores won’t affect your high school GPA or your chances of college admission. (The fact that you took AP courses when they were available is a different story!) But good AP scores can earn you college credit. Just remember that every school is different. Some won’t accept credit unless you score a 5. Some won’t accept them at all. Be sure to check with your top schools to understand how they handle AP scores.”

Samantha Lindsay wrote an article through PrepScholar called AP Testing Guide and Tips and says, “If you don’t do well on an AP exam, you can retake it the next time it’s offered the following May. However, you should consider this decision carefully before committing. If you score a three or above on an AP test, I wouldn’t recommend going for a retake unless you’re extremely set on earning college credit for your work. Your AP score will have a minimal impact on your college admissions chances unless you’re applying to the most selective colleges with 1s and 2s.”

Arrowhead junior Cari Nelson says, “AP testing is very important yet stressful for me. There is so much material to remember and apply while taking this test and I want to do my best. It’s hard to retain the information you learn since it’s so much and so many terms. The AP test I’m taking in May is AP Psychology.”

Ellen McCammon wrote an article through PrepScholar called AP Testing Tips on some Ap test taking tips, “#1: Do Easy Questions First, #2: Answer Every Question—But Be Smart About It, #3: Manage Time Carefully, #4: Plan Your Essays Carefully, #5: Bring Water and a Snack for the Break, #6: Keep Up Positive Self-Talk.”

According to IvyWise an online tutoring website, “AP exams are an excellent opportunity to showcase your knowledge and academic drive to teachers and colleges. Instead of stressing out about the process, start studying now so you can achieve your goal score. If you need help creating a strategic study plan.”

According to College Board an online college informational website, “Research exam: 5: 16.8%, 4: 18.1%, 3: 35.4%, 2: 27.3%, 1:2.5%. Seminar exam: 5: 6.7%, 4: 15.1%, 3: 65%, 2: 11.6%, 1: 1.6%. (score, percent of whole).”