Arrowhead Holds Academic and Career Exploration Homeroom For Seniors

Arrowhead senior looks at slideshow during the college homeroom, December 13th.

According to Arrowhead seniors, an email was sent out on December 8, 2017,from the Director of Curriculum Sue Casetta regarding a homeroom on Wednesday, December 13th.

The homeroom consisted of a short lesson regarding academic and career exploration to prepare seniors for their post high school lives. Juniors homeroom consisted of preparation for college choices and post-high school plans. Seniors reported to their usual homerooms, which are posted on the wall outside of the guidance offices.

Arrowhead senior and HOSA member Kiley Bennett was quick to speak out about the email.

“I guess I am a little bit confused as to why we’re doing this late into first semester,” she says. “We did tons of these last year and most of us have already applied and have heard back from most of our college choices. We have declared majors and stuff, so why see the same presentation again? Everytime we do one of these, the internet crashes because we all go on the same website at one time. It happens every time.”

However, Arrowhead science teacher Brian Corry argues that the homeroom was beneficial for students.

“It’s great. It’s different that what you guys have seen in the past and you’ll all get pumped for your bright futures. It’s short and interactive, so you guys don’t have to worry about being bored,” he says.

As reported by seniors, the homeroom consisted of reading over a few frequently asked questions regarding post-high school life and watching a short video.

Bennett says, “I did find it to be pretty helpful. The FAQ part was nice because those are the questions we formed.”

For any students who didn’t attend school on the 13th and missed the homeroom, the slide show is attached to the email as well as linked on the Arrowhead website, according to the email. Any questions can be answered by a guidance counselors.