Rho Kappa Students Host Veterans Day Breakfast

Rho+Kappa+Students+at+this+years+Veterans+Breakfast.+

Rho Kappa Students at this years Veteran’s Breakfast.

Saturday, November 11th marked the United States 98th Veterans Day. To celebrate this day and bring honor to our local veterans Arrowhead Rho Kappa Students hosted a breakfast in their honor.

Beginning on Friday, November, 10th the breakfast, hosted by Rho Kappa, took place from 8:00 am through 9:30 am and was held in the south campus lunchroom.

Rho Kappa is the Arrowhead’s Social Studies -honors society. Throughout the school year, Rho Kappa hosts the Veterans breakfasts, collects jeans for Jeans for Teens, and participates and promotes This Day in History. For more information on Rho Kappa or to see requirements to join, please visit http://www.arrowheadschools.org/activities/rhokappa.cfm.

The morning began with the national anthem sung by Arrowhead treble choir. The choir also sang The Way Old Friends Do by Abba.

Then Joseph Paul, Arrowhead Social Studies department teacher, and others spoke in honor of the Veterans. This was concluded with a Salute to Armed Forces PowerPoint, where veterans were able to stand and be recognized for their service

Arrowhead Senior and Rho Kappa member Brenna Hevrdejs said: “The whole experience was a great way to honor those who fought for our country.”

The breakfast served was free and included eggs, sausage, hash browns, and biscuits. Fruit, coffee, milk, and juice were also served.

The turnout for this year’s Veterans Day breakfast was between 140 and 150 people which is almost double as last year said, Brenna.

While everyone ate it breakfast students engaged in conversations with the veterans and learned about their service and the effects it had on them.

Senior Josie Schroeder and member of Rho Kappa said, “Hearing their stories truly brought a tear to my eye. I’m so glad I could be part of such a great thing.”