Clubs Provide Opportunity for Involvement at AHS

Principle Cabinet Organized The Signs By The Cross Walk

“Arrowhead Union High School has a total of 45 clubs compared to the amount of sports teams which is 30,” said Liz Arsnow the AHS activities secretary.

According to the AHS website page, 1,398 students participate in 45 offerings of club extra-curricular activities. From academic related clubs like Spanish Club, Math Club, Psych Club to service clubs and helping out the community like Student Senate, Key Club, “There is a club for anyone,” AHS junior Abby Erdmann said.

Erdmann said, “Arrowhead is a big school with so many great opportunities for students. There is a great chance that each student could find at least a little interest in one club.”

Erdmann says she has been involved in clubs since she was a freshman. She thinks that clubs are a fun extracurricular activity to be part of. She also said her clubs help her complete service hours. She is currently involved in four AHS clubs and says she is hoping to join more as the school year goes on.  

“I am in four clubs, and the four clubs that I am in are…Key Club, Best Buddies, Earth Club, and Psych Club. For each club I am in, I was drawn to it in a certain way. That is why I feel like there is a club that everyone would like. I am interested doing little service projects year round that help the earth/ community, and that is why I joined Earth Club,”  said Erdmann.

Erdmann says overall is very happy with the way that Arrowhead runs their clubs.

“We are so lucky to go to a school that has so many choices to pick from. If you were to look at another school, they have very few clubs to choose from,” Erdmann says.

Junior AHS student Claire Babler, on the other hand, says she has a different perspective.

“Arrowhead is clearly known for the size of the school, the sports teams, the academics, etc. Something that in my opinion that I do not think they focus enough on is their clubs. I personally know many people who choose not to be involved in their clubs because of there isn’t many choices,” Babler said.

AHS student Jack Siepmann who helps run the Student Senate says, “I know that some people are unhappy about the organization and communication with this club, but it gets really difficult with a large amount of kids.”

Babler says she would be more satisfied if the clubs would be more organized, and less people.

Babler says, “One of the problems that I seem to notice is the overall organization. When I was involved in Key Club a few years back, I would miss so many of the mandatory meetings due to organization. I was never notified when there was a meeting, which meant I would miss it. I believe that this problem is partially because of the amount of kids that are in it. If it was split into two and had two people running it, it would be easier to manage. This not the case for every club, just a select few.”