Will Future Spring Breaks Take Place at a Different Time?

A Locker Decoration at North Campus for the Swimming Team, who had a meet during Spring Break.

Arrowhead sent out a survey to parents regarding future spring breaks on May 24th. According to the email sent out by Laura Myrah, a worker at arrowhead, many school districts in the southeastern Wisconsin region are considering a consistent week long spring break in late March or early April, beginning with the 2018-19 school year.

Arrowhead wants to move the spring break back because they say,“student’s learning may benefit from evenly distributed breaks throughout this school year. A spring break in the last week of March or first week of April aligns better with state assessments, the ACT, and AP exams. A consistent spring break held during the same week each year could benefit families with vacation and/or child care planning. And, families connected with multiple districts would have the same spring break.”

Kent Attwell, a sophomore at Arrowhead says, “I mean, I think it’s a good idea in some cases, but I don’t want to be on break with a bunch of drunk college kids somewhere.”

While there may be a lot of college students out and about on their spring break, there are still many places and many options for break. Colleges typically go on spring break around March tenth.

Emma Quinn, a sophomore at Arrowhead says, “I think that it would be kinda dope, and it would be good to go on spring break with your family members that are in college. Going out on spring break earlier would also help me because it would spread out the breaks making it more even and easier for me to focus on school.”

The questions on the survey conducted by Arrowhead consist of: “Would you support a consistent week long spring break? Would you support a consistent week long spring break if our school district would guarantee a long holiday weekend at Easter (no school on the Friday before and/or Monday after Easter)? If the region would move to a week long consistent spring break, would you prefer the last full week of March or the first full week of April?” The survey ends June first.

Jan Patterson, a parent of three Arrowhead students says, “I think it would be really good for students to have a earlier spring break because it would spread the break out more and take more stress off of them.”