Rauch Continues Arrowhead’s Tradition of Excellence

Mr. Rauch on game day representing his team.

Frederick Rauch is the head football coach and an English teacher at Arrowhead Union High School. He officially became a Warhawk last January. He finished teaching and coaching first semester at Grafton on a Friday and started at Arrowhead the following Monday.

Frederick Rauch steps in with an extensive background in both teaching and coaching. He stated he has more than 20 years. He also said that though the transition to Arrowhead was challenging, it was made easier by the helpful and supportive students and staff.

Rauch says he does not differentiate between teaching and coaching as they are the same to him. He says his goal every week is to improve. He continues to carry high expectations for both his students and his athletes. He knows the student body also has high expectations for him.

He says he knows the team, as well as himself, will be judged every week on some level. Knowing this, he says he tries to teach his athletes and students they can have bad losses and bad wins—when they are not competing at their highest level.

Rauch said, “Those [lessons] are probably lost on the fans in the stands, [but they are] not on the coaches or the kids.”

“The students aren’t going to see Saturdays, and Mondays through Thursdays,” says Rauch. “They are just going to see Fridays. We are going to be judged on wins and losses.”

Stephen Gardner, number six, is a senior this year on the varsity football team. He says, “I feel like a leader, coming up from freshman year, looking at the seniors and seeing them as role models. Now I get to be the role model.”

Gardner had nothing but uplifting things to say about his new coach. He said, “He has been really positive, which is always a good thing to have on the team. He really knows how to get us fired up.”

Stephen also said, “I expect to work hard in practice and hopefully it will pay off in the game. The student body should expect a fun team this year. Although we lost a lot of good seniors we are still a very big underdog to our opponents.”
“Arrowhead is separated by the set expectation of excellence, the culture of excellence, the demand for excellence, and how people approach it. That’s what makes this place special,” said Rauch.