Arrowhead Boys Hockey Takes the Ice

Arrowhead High School’s boys hockey teams are to take the ice for the first game of the season with the boys varsity hockey game on November 24, at 6:30pm at the Mullet Ice Center. Arrowhead will be playing against Oshkosh High School.

Arrowhead High School is home to three ice hockey teams: boys varsity, boys junior varsity, and girls varsity. Each of these teams practice and host home hockey games at the Mullet Ice Center.

According to the Arrowhead website, the Mullet Ice Center is the “finest on campus ice facility in the state of Wisconsin.”

Last season’s head coach, Josh Engel, stepped down, leaving the head coaching position open for both the boys varsity and junior varsity teams.

For the 2015 boys ice hockey season, Carl Valimont stepped up as the head coach. Valimont held the head coaching position for Arrowhead boys hockey from 1999-2009.

Valimont brought the 2009 Arrowhead varsity boys hockey team to the state championship, where they won the state title.

Valimont says that the one trait he believes won the 2009 boys varsity team the state title was “phenomenal leadership.”

According to the Arrowhead boys hockey website, under Valimont’s coaching in 2009, the Arrowhead boys varsity hockey team won each game in the state tournament by four goals.

Valimont also received the title of “All-Area Coach of the Year” three times in years 2003, 2005, and 2009, by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Valimont says his favorite part of coaching Arrowhead hockey is “mentoring the young men, and teaching the boys lessons through the sport of ice hockey.”

Recently Valimont asked that the boys cut their hair. He said this is in order to get a cleaner look.

Valimont says, “[The coaching staff and I] like their hair looking good so they play good. We just look better when we are cleaned up, that’s all.”

All Arrowhead hockey home games can be attended by students with an activity pass on their school ID free of charge. The activities pass, however, does not work off the Arrowhead campus.

Arrowhead Sophomore Jaxson Carr played last season for the Arrowhead boys varsity hockey team, and is on the varsity team this season as well.

Carr said,  “The team is adapting to a new coaching style that we know is for the better, and we are all starting to get the hang of how different things must be run at Arrowhead in order to be successful.”

Carr says, “This year our new coach has taught us we need to work harder than the guy next to you, play smarter, and work together as a team representing and playing for arrowhead not as individuals. This will result in a more enjoyable season and hopefully a lot of wins.”