Safety Top Priority at Arrowhead

Safety+Top+Priority+at+Arrowhead+

Security and safety is a top priority at Arrowhead High School, according to Officer Pete Freyer, the police liaison at the school. At Arrowhead, there are security measures in place: 24-hour surveillance cameras, the check in center, and automatic locks on all doors as well as a comprehensive crisis response plan.

With the student body no less than 2,300 students, Arrowhead has the biggest campuses in the Lake-Country area, according to Wisconsin High Schools.org. Freyer is the only AHS officer. He is a full time officer for the Waukesha County Sheriff Department and is stationed on the Arrowhead school grounds.

When he is not strolling the halls, he says he is commuting between campuses and investigating threats to the schools security.

Freyer says that one of the ways Arrowhead’s is kept safe is by his ability to conduct searches based on “reasonable suspicion”, which allows the an officer or school administrator the right to search and investigate on campus. According to Freyer, this is allowed by case law to enhance safety at schools. This includes searching cars, lockers, backpacks, and pockets. It is not like a television show where detective profile suspects like on Criminal Minds. At Arrowhead, searches are based on improper behavior and activities. Freyer says students in inappropriate areas and times may give rise to suspicion.

If the school has “reasonable suspicion,” they have the right to search students and their property.

According to Freyer, one police liaison is enough for AHS because if a situation is out of control, there are other resources. Other officers can be called, “[with] quick responses” for backup.

“A normal day [at Arrowhead] only needs one officer,” said Freyer.

Freyer says he not want students to feel over restricted; he says he wants students to “move freely and [to] enjoy” being in school, while security is still a priority.

Freyer says, “There should be balance.”

“Safety is a direct reflection of the communities that we live in,”said Freyer. “The Oconomowoc, Hartland, and Delafield are relatively safe communities so subsequently our school is relatively safe also.”

Junior, Caitlin Engelbert says, “ I have confidence that officer Freyer is here to protect me.”

Deputy Freyer happily laying down the laws to the office ladies.