Arrowhead Introduces New School Lunch Program

In the school year of 2014-2015, Arrowhead High School will be getting a new food program to help students maintain a healthier lifestyle.  Arrowhead will also be getting renovations to the school to help increase motivation for students to eat healthier. All food in the school store will be under 100 calories or less.

Amy Whitmore, a junior from Arrowhead High School, says that she doesn’t like the change in the school lunches.

“I think that students should be able to choose what they want to eat and have multiple options,” says Whitmore.

Charlie Sprinkmen, a junior at Arrowhead High School, says the school lunches might bring in a lot of benefit for students. Sprinkmen says that it might motivate students to become healthier in others ways.

“Encouraging students to have a healthier lifestyle is a good thing but it’s also nice to eat other things than just fruit and vegetables at lunch time,” says Sprinkmen.

Whitmore says that the lunch program may cause students to quit buying the lunches by bringing their own lunch everyday instead.

“If the food is just a whole bunch of fruit and vegetables that people aren’t going to get, everyone is just going to end up bringing their own food and not buying the food from school,” says Whitmore.

Whitmore says the school should survey the students and decide what they would like to eat the most, considering the students are the people that are eating the food.

“If the school is going to provide us lunch, it should be our choice on what we eat,” says Whitmore.

Sprinkmen says that he doesn’t really care what happens to the lunch program considering he usually brings lunches to school anyways.

“If I got to decide what the school wanted, I would probably keep the food that we have know considering we have a lot of variety,” says Sprinkmen.

Sprinkmen says the school’s lunch program right now is good how it is and that little to no students complain about the lunches.

Whitmore says that she would like to talk to the school board and see if they could keep the lunch program and still add healthy food to the lunch program.

“I want to talk to the school board and see if they are able to consider a change to next years plan, and maybe take into consideration to what other people want,” says Whitmore.