What Makes a Great Teacher?

What makes a great teacher? Is it a teacher that makes jokes and makes the class laugh or is a teacher that? Or is it a teacher that gives you a lot of help and one-on-one time? A teacher to me is a dedicated, compassionate person who is eager to teach and help students learn.

One of the most important qualities a teacher can have is flexibility. With high school comes a lot of kids with a lot of different preferences of learning. Students like having choices and most don’t like being told what to do or how to do things. Letting students feel as though they are independent enough to make their own choices will result in the student bringing a better attitude to class.

From a viewpoint of a student, we unconsciously think that we are forced to be here, while teachers are not. As that may be true, being at school should be made the best of on both ends. The lack of compassion a teacher has for the teacher that they are teaching. Lack of compassion may cause the teacher to get annoyed easier, lack enthusiasm, and dislike teaching. If a teacher loves what they do, it will express itself in many ways, resulting in the students and the teachers having a better time in the classroom.

Even though teachers are introduced over the years with hundred of new students, it’s important for a teacher to keep personal relationship with the students that are in their classroom. With each new student comes their personal needs and preferences to how they may learn better. Although class curriculum cannot be changed too much, letting students learn at their own rate may help the student feel more comfortable and at ease when learning at their own pace.

In 5th grade, Rachel Thorn, a junior at Arrowhead High School, says that it was the best year in school for her because of her teacher, Mr. Sturm. Mr. Sturm was a teacher that was well liked around the whole entire school because of how kind and generous he was to his students, also, his sense of humor could not have been forgotten. Rachel had problems seeing the board, and for most classrooms, switching assigned seats were a big deal, due to the lack of self control because everyone would just be talking to their friends and not listening. Mr Sturm was aware of Rachel’s problem, as glasses were probably an easier option, although not cheaper. Mr. Sturm moved Rachel and let her sit in the front by her friend whom he knew she wouldn’t talk to the whole entire class. Bending the rules weren’t always something Mr. Sturm did, but he would do whatever it took to make his students feel comfortable in school and most importantly, to have fun.

A teacher’s attitude is everything when it comes to being a great teacher. Qualities such as compassion dedication are crucial when really connecting to a students, resulting in a better learning environment for both the teacher and the student