Arrowhead’s Stance on The Issues

Arrowhead High School students vocalized they’re stance on current controversial political issues in the United States and which issues are most important to them. 100 students were surveyed on their stance of widely debated political issues.

Students are most concerned with resolving the issue of gay rights. The majority of students feel homosexuals deserve to be treated with equal rights and that the US should legalize gay marriages. 22% of the students poled believed this was the most important issue.

Students seem to wish Arrowhead was located in Colorado, because the legalization of marijuana was the second most important issue. Although this issue might not seem as important as government spending, students feel the government should not be regulating the use of marijuana. They believe if marijuana was to be legalized crime and accidents pertaining to marijuana would decrease. Wisconsin is not currently in the process of legalizing this substance.

The general trend was the dislike of government’s regulation of social issues. The social issues were abortion, gay rights, legalization of marijuana, conceal carry, and the drinking age.  Besides being against pro-choice abortions, 55%+ were pro for social issues such as lowering the drinking age, providing equal rights for homosexuals, legalizing marijuana, and concealed carry .

CNN states, “This generation is more accepting and more humanitarian than any past generation.”

It makes sense for that government spending was the third largest issue since many students are against military spending. Many of them agree there is no reason to increase our spending when we are no longer at war.

Senior Elliot Sweet said, “Obviously the government keeps information from the public, but increasing spending towards the military can raise a conspiracy theory since we are not at war. This only makes sense if the government is planning for a war, or if they are as naive as they’re portrayed so, they’re throwing away the tax payers money.”

Arrowhead senior Rebecca Frazier said, “I think we really need to start working on finding an alternative energy source. We should move away from fossil fuels and towards clean energy.”

Sixty-eight percent of the surveyed population agrees with Frazier’s opinion. Only 7% think we should stick with fossil fuels. Twenty- five percent of students are indifferent on the issues.

Arrowhead senior Jake Selzer said, “I believe increasing spending on the conservation and restoration of our environment is a major issue we need to fix. We are ignoring all the damage we are causing to the planet and need to get a grasp on it.”

Sixty-eight percent of students believe there needs to be more funding spent on preserving the environment, twenty-three percent are indifferent on the matter, and only 8% think we should cut spending on the environment.

Students feel very strongly about changing the age at which people are allowed to consume alcohol. The majority believe the drinking age should be lowered to 18 years old. Sixty-five percent believe it should be lowered, 2% believe it should be raised to decrease drunk driving, and 33% are indifferent on the matter.

Arrowhead senior Monica Anderson said, “People need to get smart about the issues. The conspiracy behind social security not being around for our generation is just dumb. The only way social security won’t be around is if every single person stops working.”

Sixty-three percent of students agree with Anderson’s stance on the matter of the depletion of social security, 15% believe we need find a new method because it “won’t be around” in the future, and 22% have no stance on the issue.