Jewelry, Art, and Metal All In One Class

I have basically no artistic ability. I can’t draw detailed faces or paint elaborate pictures or create masterpieces out of clay.

But the one art class that I find exceptionally easy, even with my lacking artistic ability, is Jewelry Art Metals.

This class is taught by Herb Johnson, who is a Metal and Woods teacher at Arrowhead.

The classes meet every other day for two hours on A and B days. There are three classes in total that meet.

The reason that I like this class is mainly because of the opportunity to work with something new, like metal, and make art pieces I never thought would be possible.

Of course that’s not the only reason I enjoy the class. Aside from  few tests and the occasional movie, this class is basically student driven.

The students get to try to activities, make the mistakes, and work on the projects by themselves without a teacher hovering over them all the time.

Of course Johnson is always there to help when a student messes up on one of the projects, but this is mostly an individual class.

The basis of the curriculum is pretty simple. There are a set number of projects students work on individually throughout the semester.

The last thing students do is create a final project that is fifteen percent of the total grade showing at least three of the techniques taught during the semester.

All you have to do to join is sign up for the course. It’s a good break from doing regular school work and the accomplishment level is very high.

The class is not an easy A, though. The projects take time and dedication and if you don’t want to put either of those things into play I wouldn’t join.

Jewelry is definitely more for people who don’t mind getting their hands dirty and working with metal and saws and fire.

If you’re are afraid of any of those things, I wouldn’t recommend this class for you. If you aren’t then joining would be a plus for you.