Arrowhead Students Fear New Technology Program

Starting next year, Arrowhead students will be required to bring their own laptop computer to school daily to engage in learning efforts to advance the high school.

Arrowhead students, Sophomore Ashlynn Seckinger and Junior Austin Konen strongly disapprove of the new changes being made.

Seckinger says she is furious about the school making her bring in her $2,400 computer to school every day. In order to avoid bringing that laptop to school, she would have to purchase a new one which she says would cost too much money. Seckinger says she is scared it is going to get damaged or stolen while she is at school.

“My computer is way too expensive to bring to school every day and if something happens to it, I can’t just go out and buy a new one,” says Seckinger.

Konen says he isn’t going to buy a laptop to bring to school every day.

“I don’t own a laptop and I’m not paying for one just because the high school wants me to,” says Konen.

By refusing to buy his own laptop for school, Konen will not have the same learning advantages and be able to access the same assignments as other students with technology will be able to.

Both Seckinger and Konen say the school should provide laptops to students if they want the new technology advancement to occur. Both students say they learn better by writing things down on pencil and paper. They say changing their learning style from what they have been doing since kindergarten will affect their academics in a bad way.

“I learn better by writing things down while being taught the curriculum. Switching over from pencil and paper to computers in every subject is going to be a weird change,” says seckinger.

Sophomore Carly Minor says that although she is used doing assignments on paper, technology will be a faster and more efficient method.

“Computer assignments are going to be so much faster than handing out papers and taking the time to grade them individually,” says Minor.

Having students bring laptops to school may not only encourage theft, but also a lot more problems caused by the laptop itself.

“My laptop is in pretty good condition, but I anticipate a lot of problems with student having to charge their laptops in class or having problems connecting to printers,” says Minor.

Konen and Seckinger say the problems the school will encounter with students having their laptops in class are not worth the time and money that everyone will have to go through.