February’s Student’s and Teacher’s of the Month

February’s students of the month are junior, Jessica Yost and sophomore, Sara Geschke. The teachers of the month are science 9 teacher, Michelle Feutz and AP US History and AP Macroeconomics teacher, Joe Paul.

Yost is a senior and graduated early because of the non-profit organization she started called the “15:30 Project.” Yost is currently in South Africa doing a ten week internship at a childrens home.

“I am the founder of a non-profit organization which is dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty through the power of education in Sub-Saharan Africa,” says Yost. “I also go out of my way to succeed in school to maintain a high grade point average. However, I’m not exacty sure as to why I was selected

Yost is also secretary of National Honors Society and International Students club, captain of the girls golf team and forensics team, and is part of the principal’s cabinet.

One of the teachers recognized for the month of January is Joe Paul. Joe teaches AP Macroeconomics and AP U.S. History. He has been teaching for 18 years, 14 of them being at Arrowhead.

“I really enjoy the subjects that I teach so I tend to be passionate and excited when discussing them.  I think students pick up on that excitement.  If students see the teacher enjoying the subject they have a tendency to enjoy it also,” says Paul.

Paul is a former boys and girls soccer coach, although he retired when his second son was born.

Paul isn’t really sure as to why he was chosen as Teacher of the Month, but he says, “Perhaps the selection committee was trying to boost teacher morale by making sure everyone got the award once.”

Unfortunately, Sara Geschke and Michelle Feutz were unable to get back to us on time, therefore they responses are not included in this article.