Arrowhead Collects Food for Food Pantries

Spanish teacher Terry Nuemann-Hayes and senior Caroline Bong were one of the winners in the Food drive contest at Arrowhead High School

Last Saturday, December 14th, 2013, Arrowhead Union High School’s key club members participated in North Lake Food Drive.   They collected 40 bins of perishable goods for North Lake’s food pantry.  Also, they were able to give St Charles’ food pantry 16 paper boxes full of food. They obtained food in a variety of ways.

On December 7th, 2013, teams of Arrowhead key club members went to different neighborhoods to collect food.  Some of the neighborhoods they went to were Bristlecone, Four Winds, Mary Hill, Still Meadow, and Arrowhead Highlands. They went door to door to get food for the food pantry.

Arrowhead teachers and students not part of key club participated in the food drive too.  Teachers asked students to bring in food items for the food drive.  The classes that brought in the most food received a party.  The winning classrooms this year were Spanish teacher Sara Sadowski, Spanish Teacher Tim Gliniecki, Spanish teacher Terry Nuemann-Hayes, Science teacher Dennis Mechenich, and Spanish teacher Tracy Tomczyk.

Key club is looking for more help in the food drive.  They still want to deliver at least four more boxes of food.  They want this to be delivered before the holidays.  Arrowhead students and parents can participate more in the food drive by donating money or bring food to the North Lake or Hartland Food Drive.

Food panties support families in need, and are a great way to give back on the holidays.

Julia Winkel, a junior at Arrowhead, says, “It feels great to be able to help people and give them food they normally couldn’t afford.  I think everyone should participate in food drives or give back to the community.  Every year my family gives food to food pantries.”