The Arrowhead

The student news site of Arrowhead Union High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

Arrowhead Offers Virtual College Essay Workshop this Summer

In August 2024, three Arrowhead Union High School English teachers will be hosting Arrowhead’s Virtual College Essay Workshop. The workshop is for seniors only. The workshop will take place August 5th through August 8th online.

According to the poster, students can sign up for the course in Skyward under Arena Scheduling. 

“Students can receive as much help as they need or want. The teachers are available to give specific feedback at set times throughout each session,” says English teacher Terri Carnell.

Carnell is running the workshop with her ELA colleagues, Elizabeth Jorgensen and Rebecca McCann.

The workshop will happen over Google Meet and Canvas.

“I had two Google meetings to check in with the teacher. I finished [my essay] and then Mrs. Carnell checked it over in a Google meet and gave me feedback. I edited it more and then instead of another Google meet, I posted it on a Canvas discussion to get more feedback from Ms. Jorgensen and Mrs. Carnell,” says senior Emma Danes. 

The workshop focuses on writing skills for college essays.

According to the poster, “The College Essay Workshop will help students understand what college admissions officers desire in a college essay. The workshop will focus on the principles of good writing, including the components of a compelling narrative.”

The summer workshop is the only time English teachers can help review college essays. 

“The workshop is the perfect opportunity for seniors to get a head start on their essay before school starts. Teachers won’t be able to help once school starts, so this is the time to get assistance,” says Carnell. 

Students can get as much feedback as they would like on their essays.

“We encourage students to show their essays to all of us multiple times, as that is the main purpose of the workshop, but there is no requirement,” says McCann. 

Students who attend the workshop will also receive a quarter of a class credit, according to the poster. 

“It was nice because I was able to talk to a teacher about [my essay] over the summer. It was definitely worth it and it wasn’t too much work,” says Danes. Danes has been accepted to UW Whitewater. 

The workshop has received positive reviews on Facebook. One parent said the following:  “This is one of the best programs Arrowhead offers. The teachers are amazing! My student ended the workshop with a quality essay and was able to submit his college applications before the busy school year started,” says Carolyn Sullenberger Young.

More information about the workshop is available in the Summer School Course Guide, according to the poster. 

“The workshop also pairs nicely with Flight, which is put on by the guidance department. It offers information and resources for every part of the college application process. We block out time in our workshop schedule for students to attend,” says McCann. 

According to the Arrowhead website, Flight is an in-person event held at North Campus on Wednesday, August 7th from 12:30 to 3:00. There seniors can learn how to state the college application process.  

“I hope students take advantage of the workshop. It’s a unique experience that not all schools offer,” says Carnell.