Students apply for the National Honor Society

The application deadline for students to join Arrowhead’s National Honor Society was February 8, 2024, at 2:45 pm, according to an email sent to all sophomores, juniors, and seniors by club advisor Jana Danay.

According to the Arrowhead website, the National Honor Society is an organization that “promotes appropriate recognition for students who reflect outstanding accomplishments in the areas of academics, character, leadership, and service.”

The application is open to any sophomore, junior, or senior who meets the application requirements. 

According to the email, students must have at least a 3.5 GPA, have held a leadership position during high school, and have a teacher or coach evaluate the students leadership and character in order to apply.

“I joined NHS because I wanted to challenge myself and I like helping people. Also I wanted an opportunity to get more involved in the community,” says senior Emily Mattson. 

There are also requirements that must be maintained once a student is a member.

“There is a minimum commitment of two 45 minute meetings per month (at 6:45 am). Each member is expected to be on at least one committee, and also to complete at least 12 hours of NHS-related service each semester. Members are also expected to maintain high character and a minimum of 3.5 GPA,” according to the Arrowhead website. 

Attending the induction ceremony is another requirement for new members.

According to the email, “Students selected will be notified during the first week of April and must attend the induction ceremony tentatively scheduled for Monday, April 22, 2024, at 7:30 pm in the North Campus Theater.”

There is no set number of students that can be admitted. 

According to the email, students are admitted based on a scoring system that judges leadership, maturity, positive character, and service. The National Honor Society Faculty Council admits or denys students.

“Membership is an honor bestowed on students by the school’s faculty,” according to the Arrowhead website.