The Start of Black History Month

In past years, for Black History month, Arrowhead’s Multicultural student union has raised awareness throughout February.

Senior Rachel Kleinhans said, “I have not seen anything at school for Black History Month yet but I’m sure they will when it is February.”

Black History Month starts on February 1, 2024, and goes until March 1, 2024. February was chosen to be Black History Month because it is both Abraham Lincoln’s and Frederick Douglass’ birthdays. 

Abraham Lincoln was influential in the emancipation of slaves and Frederick Douglass was an important leader in the abolitionist movement which led to help end slavery.  

Both Lincoln and Douglass were born in the second week of February which was traditionally when African Americans would hold celebrations in honor of the emancipation before Black History Month started.

Arrowhead faculty Alix Neville said “I have not seen anything yet in my email but I’m sure I will in February.”

Fifty years after the first celebrations President Gerald R. Ford officially recognized Black History Month during the 1976 bicentennial.

Senior Ava Cosentino said “ I don’t know anything about it, I feel like they don’t talk much about it at Arrowhead.”

Arrowhead’s Multicultural Student Union has created informational posters and flyers about Black History Month to help inform students. 

Senior Sophie Nowak said, “My mom’s school did something for MLK day and I’m sure they will do something for Black History Month too.”