AHS student Wins $500 And A Pizza Party For Her Class

AHS Senior Grace Schneider won first place in Wisconsin Business World: A Force For Good’s Coolest Thing Made in Wisconsin Fall 2021 Essay Contest, earning herself a cash prize of $500 and a pizza party for the rest who entered in the Creative Writing class.

The pizza party was given on March 3rd during the 5th and 6th hours at the North Campus Library Lab B.

The requirements for the essay were that it couldn’t be longer than 1,000 words and it needed to highlight and describe what you found was uniquely amazing in Wisconsin. 

Descriptions of location, people they employ, how long have they been a business, and other things they manufacture are all needed.

The deadline was December 15, 2021, at 11:59 PM. 

The flier can be found here.

Schneider’s article is posted below about her love for Racine Kringle’s pistachio kringle:

By Grace Schneider

Dear Diary,

By Grace Schneider

Dear Diary,

I know I haven’t written in a while, but everything has been so busy. Ever since I was born, and came out of that sweet-smelling oven, I have felt this immense pressure looming over me to be the next Almond. As you know, Almond is my sister and she is perfect. Yes, I know she is the firstborn, but it’s hard to stand out when I’m just a pathetic pistachio. No one can ever pass up her beautiful, golden, flaky eighty-one layers. Don’t forget the smooth icing and the crunch of the toasted almonds. Great. Now I sound like one of those commercials. I wish they made commercials about me, maybe then someone would see who I really am. Aha! That’s a great idea! What if I made my own Racine Danish Kringle commercial and tested it out on you! Then if it’s good, I can show it to Mom and Dad and maybe they will let it be used. Fingers crossed! Okay, here we go.

Powerful Pistachio. No, that’s not it. Premium Pistachio. There we go. Premium Pistachio. The fascinating flaky crust that you all know and love, but better. Filled with the light, luscious pistachio flavor. Topped with the classic vanilla icing, you know you can’t resist a bite. Don’t forget the candied pistachio pieces placed precisely on top, crafted to perfection. Easily, your new favorite flavor! Come now to Racine Danish Kringles, found at your local grocery store. “It’s not just a treat, it’s a tradition!”

How was that? I thought it was pretty good. Maybe it will blow Mom and Dad away and they will present it to the company to use! That would be amazing! Maybe I have a chance at surpassing Almond.  Hmm, that was pretty fun.  Maybe I should make a commercial for Mom and Dad. That might make them want to use mine even more. Alright, let’s see how this goes.

Racine, Wisconsin, the family you all know and love. No, that sounds bad. Welcome to the kringle capital of the world, Racine, Wisconsin! Take one step and your nose will be overwhelmed by the delicious, sweet smell coming from every corner. Racine Danish Kringles, the company to be. This family company has been open for forty years and three generations. Even their company is a family with only two hundred employees. The same refined recipe, passed down through generations from the original Danish Bakers who brought the kringle to America in the late 1800s. Did I mention they have over twenty-five different flavors including Almond and Pistachio? (I couldn’t resist giving myself a little promo.) Don’t worry, they are certified dairy kosher so everyone can indulge in these delectable desserts. Giving back to local charities like Children’s Hospital of Milwaukee and the Make-A-Wish Foundation? It’s no wonder the kringle was named Wisconsin’s official state pastry in 2013. Stop into your local grocery store to pick up this heavenly confection. As always, it’s not just a treat, it’s a tradition!

Wow, that was great! Maybe a little long, but there was too much to say. Mom and Dad are amazing and I don’t know what I would do without my family. I just know they are going to love both of these commercials. Well, anyway, I guess it’s time for me to show them. Wish me luck! I’ll let you know how it goes.

Love always,

Piper Pistachio

In addition to Schneider, another top two participants won $500 dollars. Those participants were not Arrowhead students.

The contest organizer, Michelle Grajkowski Senior Director of Wisconsin Business World emailed Schneider’s teacher, Elizabeth Jorgensen the following: “We were blown away with your students’ essays! They were so creative and on point! Since we only have three prizes to give out, we would love to recognize all your students in some way…We would love to offer you a pizza party celebration for you and your students. They were truly amazing!!”

The official contest results and all winning essays were posted here.

All AHS participants can be found here.

You can also find all articles with names attached to this sheet.