Celebrating the Journey of Books

2021 Southeast Wisconsin Festival of Books Middle and High School Student Writing Contest is available to both Middle school and High school students in Waukesha County. 

Winners of this competition will be announced in late October. There will be three winners and they will be rewarded with a cash prize. First place receives $250, while the second receives $175, and third place will receive $75. 

This competition is all about how books have transformed the participants’ lives. ¨Pages, Passports, and Panels¨, will be presented on November 5, 2021 by best-selling author Elizabeth Berg. 

‘’Our theme Pages, Passports & Portals looks at books as a way to learn about places, other times and our environment. The Festival will have panels of travel writers, authors who write about the environment, about our state of Wisconsin and history. These authors give us a broad horizon to explore new ideas through the diversity of books,’’ says University of Wisconsin.

For the student essay and poetry contest, entries had to be between 400-500 words for middle schoolers and 600-750 words for high school students. It must be single spaced if typed, but it is also acceptable to handwrite.

Entries must be unpublished and in participants’ own words. Students may not submit a piece you have already written for previous competitions or submit multiple entries. All entries had to be mailed by October 1, 2021 to the listed address below.

2021 Century Fence Student Writing Contest

Attn: Southeast Wisconsin Festival of Books Coordinator

UWM at Waukesha Foundation, Inc.

1500 N. University Dr.

Waukesha, WI 53188