Local Author, Amy Reichert, Talks with Writing Classes

Author Amy Reichert met with Arrowhead students via Zoom to discuss the process of writing and publishing a novel.

Reichert, a Wisconsin native, has published four books through Simon & Schuster: The Coincidence of Coconut Cake; The Simplicity of Cider; The Optimist’s Guide to Letting Go; and Luck, Love & Lemon Pie. 

She gave her talk to Creative Writing and Composition students on November 18th.  The event was recorded to be shared with other students during the following asynchronous learning day.  

Topics of conversation included the publishing industry, Reichert’s career pathway, and her books.  During the presentation, students were encouraged to ask questions to Reichert, who said, “Q & A’s are my favorite part of book talks because you never know where the conversation will go.”

Many students asked questions regarding Reichert’s process, from drafting to publishing.  

Before attending this presentation, I often wondered how on earth books get made, what roles people usually play in the process, and how long the process usually takes,” said senior Elise Stockinger. “Thanks to [Reichert’s] lecture, I now understand!”

Reichert’s virtual visit was not the first time students in Creative Writing and Composition heard from a published author.  Liza Weimer, author of The Assignment (Delacorte Press) and Hello? (Spencer Hill Contemporary), lectured the classes through Zoom on October 12th and 13th. 

English teacher Becca McCann said the author visits are a chance to “add variety to the classroom and help keep students engaged.”

Senior Sami Peterson said, “Writing has always been a passion of mine, and learning about the book-writing process has been very helpful and has given me real insight to what being an author is like.”

Reichert’s novels can be purchased at anywhere that sells books.  Signed copies are available at Books & Company in Oconomowoc.