Girls Tennis Conference Champions Once Again

The Arrowhead Girls Varsity Tennis Team took home a bag of gold and the title of League Champions from their Classic Eight Conference match on September 25th and 26th. The match was held at Heyer Park in Waukesha. The 12-player team went head to head with neighboring schools, turning out on top with the most points won (72) and their rival Oconomowoc right behind took second (68).

The Classic Eight Conference is composed of nine schools; Arrowhead, Catholic Memorial, Kettle Moraine, Mukwonago, Muskego, Oconomowoc, Waukesha North, Waukesha South, and Waukesha West.

Each position on the team is in a different flight. 1 Doubles, 2 Doubles, 3 Doubles, 1 Singles, 2 Singles, 3 Singles, and 4 Singles. Therefore, each school competed against all the other schools, not just a single team. Each flight was guaranteed to play three matches against the other school.

In the 1 Doubles flight, Senior Anna Long and Sophomore Hannah Cady took second place. Oconomowoc’s Sarah Kopfer and Aubrey Berther edged ahead and snagged the gold. 

In the 2 Doubles flight, Senior Lexi Morgan and Junior Isabelle Myers took first, and also received an honorable mention voted by the coaches.

In 3 Doubles flight, Senior Lauren Veum and Sophomore Ava Carfagna took second, Oconomowoc stealing first.

For singles, 1 position Sophomore Jane Berglin received Consolation Champion after losing her first match to Mukwonago, then winning her second and third to Kettle Moraine and Waukesha South.

In the 2 Singles flight, Junior Olivia Schneider won second place, Muskego claiming first.

In the 3 Singles flight, Junior Kate Beiler won second place, Muskego taking fist.

In the 4 Singles flight, Sophomore Lexi Karge took first, the only singles player to take home the gold for Arrowhead.

The team is led by Head Coach Cindy Ziegler-Fritz and Assistant Coach Russ Trimble, both of whom say they are incredibly proud of their team.

I think I have been exceptionally lucky as a coach to always get a great group of girls to work with.  I love watching the girls develop their skills and basically watch them grow up into amazing humans,” Ziegler-Fritz says.