Should Students Stop Having to Pay for a Parking Pass?

AHS logo

AHS logo

Once a student becomes a driver, they can apply for a parking pass at Arrowhead High School, which is a privilege. The parking pass is for year-round parking costs $175.

Some of the taxes paid by the people are given to the government to then give to the schools. The schools then construct buildings, athletic fields, and parking lots and yet the students find themselves having to pay a fee to park. Even Though they already paid for the parking lot through taxes.

This begs the question; Why are students paying high fees for parking? Schools are funded by taxes from people paying money toward the school district. If schools need more money or funding, they should try to pass higher taxes or ask the government for more money. Not charge the students even more money than they are already paying.

Harry Smiths a sophomore student says “I’m thoroughly enraged by the excise taxes placed on students of arrowhead school. As the founding fathers once said in the 1700’s, taxation without representation is pure tyranny.”

The parking fee is $172 for the whole year. What is the school doing with all that money? The parking lot is already being paid for by taxes. Some students whose parents make them pay for their own parking pass may not be able to afford one.

Mrs. Dahlman, a librarian at south campus with one senior son and a sophomore son says, “It would be nice to know the justification of where our money goes, just under $200 seems a little steep.”