Traffic And Gridlock, At AHS They Are One And The Same

Arrowhead traffic makes it a bit of a challenge to drive out of Arrowhead each day.  Multiple cars all try to get out of the same exit, each from a different direction.  They creep up inch by inch, aiming for the same exit at the same time until one car makes it through and the cars remaining in this wave follow close behind.  As soon as that wave of cars makes it out there is another wave of cars at the exit.

Traffic at North campus is worse than traffic at South campus because there are more students driving at North campus.

North campus drivers all are trying to get out of the same exit at the same time.

Pete Nejedlo, assistance principal says there are 766 students that drive to AHS everyday and that, that number is expected to grow.

So every day between 2:26 and 2:36pm, 766 students get behind the wheel, all trying to get out of the AHS parking lot.

Victoria Sowinski, a senior at Arrowhead who drives to school said, “Driving skills vary for people.”

In addition to the 766 cars trying to leave at the same time, the main road outside of North campus is being redone.  The layer of gravel that was put on top of the road makes it difficult to drive on.  Drivers have to allow more room for breaking.

Sowinski said, “Yes road construction always is a bad factor.”

According to Pete Fryer, AHS School resource Officer, there have been four traffic accidents at AHS during the first two weeks of school.  That means there were four accidents in less than 14 days.  Fryer said in past years, there have been approximately 12 traffic accidents throughout the course of the entire school year.

Fryer said he believes the cause of this year’s accidents were inattentiveness.  Fryer said to help the traffic situation at AHS, students need to pay attention to what they are doing, slow down, not be in a hurry, and stop for stop signs.

Fryer says AHS could reconfigure the way they have the roads laid out, which would make traffic flow better and keep things moving.

Sowinski says, “AHS traffic is horrible there are always rude drivers and slow drivers.”

Fryer says driving accidents would decrease if parents scared their kids about driving.