Comparing Homecoming, Then and Now

The traditional meaning of homecoming was, according to About.Style.com, “a time to celebrate the school you’re attending. And after you have graduated, it is a time to come home to your town and reminisce with old friends.”

Homecoming centered around a football game, which was the major attraction that current students and alumni came together to rally behind their school.

In the past, the purpose of homecoming  was to generate a high level of school spirit. Students participated in the parade, float making, and judging which class created the best float.

According to Pop Culture History, competition of school spirit was high. Competitions between classes were an everyday event to see which class had the most energy. There was even a spirit stick that was passed from class to class, day by day, judging who had the most school spirit.

The dance was a celebration in and of itself, with a homecoming court and food that students, parents, and community businesses volunteered to make, according to Diane Cramer, a 1972 Arrowhead graduate.

In the 90’s, dress prices ranged from $20-30 and guys wore ties and sweaters or jackets, according to Pop Culture History.com.

But how is homecoming celebrated today at Arrowhead?

Junior, Alyssa Pietruszka is spending, “$300 on hair and makeup, $380 on a limo, $130 on my dress, $55 on my shoes, and $35 on my nails.” That comes to a total of  $900 spent on one night.

According to CNN Money, the average spending rate for homecoming has gone up 40% from the 2011 year.

“Prom/homecoming is the new wedding,” said Kit Yarrow, a consumer research psychologist.

At Arrowhead, homecoming week started on Sunday, the 28th with a parade, bonfire, and student vs teacher football game.

Student  participation, “Could have been better,”said senior Hannah Elrod.

During AHS homecoming week, each day was different themed to dress.

“Hawaiian/ Ugly sweater day was fun,”said junior Claire Lauterbach.

The week concluded with the prep rally on Friday along with the football game against Waukesha North and the official dance on Saturday night.